sound system - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

silver02wrx is an unknown
sound system

Ok I know basically nothing about car audio. I have an used 02 wrx with two poineer speakers in the back and im looking to spend as little money as possible to improve my sound system. I went to one of my friends at a shop and he basically told me to get a new face because new speakers in the front will still sound the same. Has anyone changed the speakers in the front and back without changing the face and noticed better sound quality. My poineers in the back are awesome but added new poineers to the front will not help??? Any suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevegud1 is an unknown
My gosh...do it ASAP. Stock Subie speakers are low quality 30W facsimiles of what would be considered to be speakers. First thing I did was buy some inexpensive Sony 3-ways and installed them (if you get 5-1/4" for the rear doors, you need a mounting plate). There was no comparison in sound. Are you running the stock headunit? You will hear an immediate improvement with just about any brand over stock.

Steve
post #3 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevegud1 is an unknown
Something else to consider, though...make sure that the speaker depth is shallow enough, or you may have issues with your windows not rolling down. I'll look for the thread that gives those details and post it when I find it.

Steve
post #4 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 05:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevegud1 is an unknown
Try Here

This is very informative on the subject.

Steve
post #5 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

panasyncp17 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to panasyncp17
Subs and a new head unit will greatly improve your sound quality. I have a kenwood HU, subs, and amp with stock speakers, and it sounds just as good as my old car that had the same stuff but also kenwood interior speakers
post #6 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 06:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

GASCOOBYCREW is an unknown
Car auidio is my profession there is no "cheap way to make it sound better" I would suggest at least the TR series JL audio for the front. You can get a component set for the front for about $200. Replace the head with at least a Pioneer Premier Dehp470mp $189. Two year warranty, MOSFET 50x4, independent sub volume and MP3/wma. Your choice xm or sirius. Also has a built in crossover and three band eq that are the real deal. Simple to use is one of the most important things as well. No pioneer jargen like mpx bass and such, you will know exactly what you are doing with it. I have the DEHp670mp in my subes with stock speakers for now and that makes for a huge change. Trust me these peices are the best bang for your buck. It will not be the cheap sony crap but will sound way better than you are expecting. I never have a complaint out of my JL and Premier customers.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevegud1 is an unknown
Depends on what you're looking for in the stereo. If you're interested in knocking pictures off the walls as you pass by houses, then no, Sony is not for you...you get what you pay for. Personally, I don't enjoy having my brains scrambled inside my head by an overpowered system. As a result, the Sonys are fine for me...at a much better price...but they do sound a heck of a lot better than stock, even when I had the stock HU.

Steve
post #8 of 25 Old 08-17-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ok thanks..### size did u go with for the sony 3 way in the front doors. And also is it alrite to have poineers in the back and another brand in the front??

Last edited by silver02wrx; 08-18-2005 at 08:49 AM.
post #9 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

GASCOOBYCREW is an unknown
hey bud was there a sub woofer in there anywhere? No, I recommened a very nice set of component speakers for the front and a head unit. JL's sound quality is far superior than your walmart sony's. 200 for a set of tweeters and woofers from the finest name in car audio is a bargain. I am not a BASS MONSTER and you need to pay more attention if you are gonna make comments like that. Just thought a professional opinion might be appreciated. Go waste your money on sony I was just trying to help.
post #10 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
well im one of the guys who likes rattling his own teeth out with base.

the bigest problem i had with the audio in my car is the front and rear door speakers. they are VERY shallow, and the hole in the rear is small. so, i have to make spacers for all 4 doors and i had to cut the rear door holes bigger with a saw.

if you dont want to cut, you could put 6x9's in the rear deck instead of using the rear door holes. i supose you could use both, but you could get an equally rich sound if you just bought corect speakers for your setup.

i wont be using the rear deck, i have 2 sets of a/d/s component 4" speakers for the doors that have, in my opinion, exceptional mid's and hi's. then i have 2 12" image dynamic subs in the trunk for my low's.

i went with an alpine head unit, with 3 pre outs (for my amps) i have a little more watage then i should for my setup. i have a 500w amp running each set of a/d/s speakers, and there rated for something like 100w... so i havea a little breathing room for my next set. then there is 1000w for the subs, which is perfect.

now, if you want to get subs you need to think about what sort of sound you want. if you want head pounding base, and dont really care about clarity, punch subs or rockford fosgate are about as loud as they get (for consumer market, non pro stuff). if you prefer a nice crisp base hit that actually hits a note instead of just rumbling, you might want to look at some higher end JL audio, or something simmaler to the Image Dynamics like i have.

in my opinion, swaping my head unit dident really make my speakers sound any better (stock). the new HU had a large increase in power, so i could get a louder sound out of it, but it wasent any clearer a sound then with the stock hu.

remember when budgeiting your system you will also need roughly $100 bucks in cables and fuses (power ground remote for each amp, cables for subs, speaer wire for door speakers), a capacitor if yout going to have high watage/amperage (roughly $100 per ferand. 1 ferand rated for roughly 1000w at 90 amps as i recall) your rca's which, belive it or not does not have a large say in overall sound, but how much distortion and external noise can be picked up on the trip from you HU to your amps (###### in the trunk), i spent about $100 on 3 sets of 14' RCA's. and last but not least a box for your subs, if you build it yourself you can use the left over MDF for the spacers you WILL need in your shallow door speaker slots.

hope this gets you started.

edit: oh yeah, the amps i have are Concept, im not even sure if they are around anymore, but they create very constant power, dont create too much heat, and have a descient range of ohms they can power subs at.
post #11 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

opXus is an unknown
Silver.....I would highly recomend NOT getting Sony. i dont like any sony audio products. JL is great for what you pay. There is much better quality out there than JL, however like i said the quality is great for what youre paying.

opXus
post #12 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 05:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
bang for the buck JL is awesome. I have been running their subs and amps for about 5 years. Soon I will be expanding to their XR door speaker sets.
post #13 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 05:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
some sony stuff isent bad, but there explode line is pure crap!
post #14 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

woahh ok ok i wont go with sony hah...i didnt want the cheapest but i cant spend to much money.. got a two tickets and a downpipe im buying. " a capacitor if yout going to have high watage/amperage (roughly $100 per ferand. 1 ferand rated for roughly 1000w at 90 amps as i recall)" i know basically nothing bout audio so can someone help me out with this. As of now im gona buy new speakers until i can save up enough to buy me friends sub and hu.
post #15 of 25 Old 08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Stevegud1 is an unknown
Use whatever speakers you want...I have 5-1/4"s, but ppl also use 6-1/2". Same brand isn't necessary, but try to keep the wattage close. They sell spacers online that will make installation easy.

Steve