Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Sound system (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/sound-system-30040/)

Ridge10 01-01-2011 11:36 AM

Sound system

So I just put in a new head unit, a touch screen pioneer, after my disc changer decided to eat all my discs and now Im looking at upgrading my speakers again and putting in a amp to power them. Does anyone else have a upgraded sound system set up cause I need some ideas on how I should do this or what I should get.

Hondafan 01-01-2011 12:28 PM

Not really, but I can tell you that it's more difficult to find speakers to fit in the doors. You need an adapter kit that lifts the speakers out a little or you can get some slimline speakers. I know Kicker makes a speaker that I think they call the 601s or 651s or something like that and they are shallow enough to fit in the doors without being too deep. I personally would steer you toward a set of Infinity due to the clarity and lack of sound coloring (changing the way the music sounds to emphasize one tone or another). I'm not a huge fan of the Kickers, but I know that they have a set that will fit without modification. What do you have for the rest of your setup? Do you already have a sub? If not I would also make recommendations based on the type of music you listen to. Fill me in and I would be happy to make you a grocery list of what I would personally buy based on your needs.

Ridge10 01-01-2011 01:18 PM

Well I have a sub but I took it out of my last car and I think the amp is blown. So I have to get a new amp for my one 12in. I had some pioneer speakers that were siting on my shelf and they fit the back but it wasnt pretty how I fit them in. I also put some boss speakers in the front, didnt really know what to do with the tweeter so I just spliced it on there two. It was kinda I hurry job cause they werent going to be in there forever. So I have one 12in sub, need an amp. Need to figure out what speakers would be best in the front and back and what kind of tweeters. And any other components I need, cause I did want to power them with amps.

Hondafan 01-01-2011 01:46 PM

Kicker makes a 5-channel amp that runs 4 channels for the mids/tweets, and then 1 channel for the sub. I like Kicker amps, just not a huge fan of their speakers. This would simplify your wiring.

You'll need:

3 pairs of RCAs (maybe only 5, but many head units will have Front R/L, Rear R/L, and Sub R/L) that are 13-17 feet long to go from the back of the deck to the amp, which I assume you'll mount to the box in the trunk, but if you choose somewhere else you'll use different lengths.

You'll want something like a 4 gauge power wire that's 17 feet long plus a fuse holder, which you'll leave as close to the battery as practical. The fuse you get should be the largest number that will blow before harming your wiring. Usually an 80-100 AMP fuse is used on a 4 gauge wire setup.

5 feet of 4 gauge wire for the ground, and less will likely be used to actually ground it.

13-17 feet to tap into the remote turn on for the deck (or any wire that's live when the car is in the "ON" position).

You can run new wires for the component speakers all the way to the doors, or you can use the stock wiring, which will require you to run the speaker wire back up to the head unit from the amp, which means 13-17 feet of 4 channel speaker wire. If you run it to the doors with the new wire, you'll use a different length than that, but I've never personally run the wire to the door speakers, so I don't know how much that's really going to take.

Go to a store and listen to speakers that you like. I personally like the sound of Infinity, Boston Acoustics, Klipsch, Eclipse (although generally I think overpriced), and *sometimes* Polk Audio.

You'll need to get adapters for most of those and get 5 1/4" speakers for your doors. They should be able to order the door adapters, or you can try to make them out of MDF, of you can also find them online, even on eBay. If you can find slim depth speakers you can fit 6 1/2" speakers, which is the best solution to keep the most mid-bass. I would steer you to component speakers, and not 2 or 3-way speakers (2-3-way will have the tweeter already attached to the 5 1/4" or 6 1/2" speaker) as you'll also be able to replace the tweeter higher in the door with the components. Plan on 4-500 for 2 pairs of speakers in the brands I just listed with component style speakers. If you do coax style and have a budget it can be done for about half that.

The amp will likely set you back the very most. The Kicker ZX 700.5 is the amp I was talking about, and its MSRP is 600, but I wouldn't pay more than $400 for it online. OR: [URL="http://compare.ebay.com/like/300505700039?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=192427134176&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=e713fb2b12c0a0aa15002820ff5360e2&itemid=300505700039&ff4=263602_309572"]eBay has it here for $311[/URL]

The wiring can also be purchased in kits which will GREATLY reduce the amount of work you need to do to get the right stuff. For example: [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-PLAM20-4-GAUGE-1000-WATT-AMP-INSTALLATION-KIT-/200556669142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb21be8d6"]Amp Kit on eBay[/URL] and then you'd just need to get 2 more pairs of RCAs and the 4-channel speaker wire.

I genuinely hope that helps. You can PM me if you have any questions.

Ridge10 01-01-2011 02:08 PM

Thank you very much. Much appreciated

gunk007 01-02-2011 04:04 PM

First off.. Hondafan has some great pointers!
I installed everything myself on my 05 and I have a 12" MTX sub in the trunk, an Alpine headunit, and Infinty 6.5 components (speaker and tweeter) in the front. The install was not that bad, just takes some time. I had to get soem rubber washers to put behind the front speakers so the speaker would not hit the window. I have to amps, a 2 chan for the sub and a 4 chan for the speakers. If you have any questions, let me know and I will help as much as I can. Good Luck!