Subaru WRX Forum banner

smoked tail light cover

10K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  BLAZE2099 
#1 ·
does anyone know of a good place to buy these?

#14 ·
Only time i got in trouble was with the paint they where decently dark but where very dusty so he gave me a warning that it was a hazzard and if rearended i would and could be held at fault and loose any lawsuits etc... at court due to that he was cool about it though.. As long as u can see your lights during the day your fine

#16 ·
But, its not really legal everywhere. Just most officers don't know the vehicle inspection codes well enough to give you a ticket for it most of the time. Then again....some states don't have inspections. So, it can always come back to bite you in the ass. Plus, I almost watched a mustang get rear ended this weekend because the driver didn't notice the brake lights were on because the tail lights were smoked out.

#30 ·
also with the rear ending if you get rear ended they can actually use the taillights against you in court so you kinda screwed.. Just something a local cop warned me of when i got pulled over... Not for the lights but he just gave me a heads up while we where having that akward whats this guy gunna add to the list of tickets to give me convo lol

#21 ·
I used to have some "light smoke" vinyl film on my stock 07 tail lights and third brake light which matched my ~35% window tint pretty well. I think I purchased the film from HotSubarus.com, but that website no longer exists, however, you can find a comparable product at several other websites. When I bought my 04/05 tail lights, I decided to remove the film and sell the 07 tail lights in stock form. Peeling the film off took more elbow grease than I expected because it was stuck on there pretty good (even after several years). When the film was finally off, I was left with a good amount of sticky residue on the surfaces that took quite a while to remove using Goo Gone and many paper towels, but the lights ended up looking brand spankin' new. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the lights illuminated, but even with them only being lightly smoked, the amount of light put out was significantly reduced. At times, it was hard for me to see at night when I was backing up, so be prepared to deal with that.

Attachments

#26 ·
Good observation! Unfortunately, I already sold my stock 2007 tail lights, otherwise, I'd definitely pm you. I plan to keep my 04/05 tail lights, unless IAG finds frame damage from my rear-end collision that happened last week and they total my car, in which case, I'll try to snag them before the car gets sent to the junk yard, but hopefully that's not the case! :eek:

#27 ·
I wouldn't think it would be even close to totaled , hey there's a blue WRX over there that's off the wall amazing,being some what parted out. I just saw it on Nasioc. very clean.

But back on topic, the vinyl looks the best IMHO, and the plus is that peeling is easier than scrubbing and scrubbing;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.