Should I keep these smoked head/taillights? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-23-2011, 06:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Hmmmm....the previous owner of that car was a ricer. Are you sure it was maintained properly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx1456 View Post
Do those little fin things above the rear window do anything? Smooth the air flow or something? Either way, they look kinda cool.
Nope. Nothing like sticking a replica EVO part on your Subaru.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

helloimD4NNY is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Hmmmm....the previous owner of that car was a ricer. Are you sure it was maintained properly?
I figured. I'm gonna need to swap out a lot of parts on it to exterminate the rice. Haha. But the car's in good condition except for a little interior cosmetic issues(hole in the floor mat for the drivers clutch foot, etc.) I mostly just checked under the hood, the clutch, brakes, tires, etc. Anything you think I should check out on it?
#18 Old 08-23-2011, 06:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx1456 is more helpful than not
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Wrx1456: You don't want his headlights because they will not have HID projectors in his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Only the STI had the actual HIDs in them. Not the WRX. Basically, unfortunately it would be a downgrade for him, and you would need more than just the headlight assembly to run HIDs in a WRX.
Thanks for the info!! You learn stuff everyday here. I would leave them on your car. They look nice. IMO

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#19 Old 08-23-2011, 06:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, it wouldn't be worth it for you. You should just smoke your STI headlights if you want that. But, that would kill the efficency of the HIDs unless you paint the inside parts that don't effect the lens.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#20 Old 08-23-2011, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^^good point. I need to go look at em, but arent the lights sealed? I dont think I want to chance opening them up for the water to get in. I may just start with the taillights first. I usually procastinate a little while before I do anything anyway, so I have time to think about it.

06 STI
http://www.armslist.com/?utm_source=c000017&utm_medium=plink&utm_campaign=p017903
#21 Old 08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ask man show I think he already did this mod and I know a website that will do it for you. Haha or you can do it yourself. Something like this...

or you can have HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net do it for you.

Kirt
#22 Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Wow. those are NICE. I like the look of the lights on the Subi on their web site.

06 STI
#23 Old 08-24-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Yeah, they are a bit pricey though. Plus, you have to send them your headlights or I assume your spare pair that you had to purchase. Just to mod. Man show I think just painted the inside of his. I'd have to get him put up a picture of his.

Man shows

Kirt
#24 Old 08-25-2011, 11:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Woo hoo! I'm famous

Yeah, I just painted mine. Here's the link I used: How to clear 06 headlights & paint. - NASIOC

I just used several coats of Duplicolor Universal Black spray paint (no primer, no clear) and used blue painter's tape to carefully mask off the chrome rings around the low beam projectors. So far, no chips or cracks, but probably some fading.

I also installed chrome/amber turn signal bulbs which I found on eBay so they blend in and look chrome when they're off during the day and they light up amber when they're blinking to keep it somewhat more legal. I kind of damaged the plastic edges of the headlight assemblies when I was prying them apart with a screwdriver, but if you're careful and use a large enough screwdriver (I used a smaller one), you can probably minimize or eliminate that. You can't even see the damage unless the hood is open and you're looking right at it. I was scared when I first thought about doing it, but after reading through the write-up several times, I became confident and just went for it. Overall, I like the way everything turned out.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#25 Old 08-25-2011, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, I figured you were the guy to inform someone on how to do it John.

Kirt
#26 Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
That will be cheaper than sending them off. Thanks for the links. Looks good. Thats the look im going for.

06 STI