Should I buy a car bra? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-29-2004, 11:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

bucwylde22 is an unknown
Should I buy a car bra?

I am wondering if it would be a good idea to buy a bra for my car. I mostly want it just for my trip next month to the beach. It will be around 8+ hours of driving each way on the highway, and I"d be so damn pissed if i get many more chips on my black WRX. i already have enough and it only has 4100 miles on it.

I would basically put it on before I went, and take it off once I got there, until the time comes i'll be doing more significant driving. I would also use it a little more frequent during the winter. but it won't be a permanent thing, it'll be taken off pretty regularly.

Any opinions on this? I found a LeBra brand one for $70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2004, 11:44 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Get a clear 3m one and leave it on forever. I hear that work good. I mean for that short drive it probably wouldn't hurt but I would get that clear thingy.
#3 Old 07-30-2004, 07:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

trenton is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trenton
The Invisishield works really well, and you can hardly tell it's on. It is pretty expensive though, but way worth it to not scratch your paint up. You should be able to get it at any place that does graphics or cosmetic car stuff like that. Bras will rub on the clearcoat and can take it off, and it could mess up your paint. And knowing Subaru paint, especially black, I wouldn't be too shocked if that happened. Bra's are ugly, and you want your Subaru boobs to be flappin all over the place anyway.
#4 Old 07-30-2004, 08:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

csrex is an unknown
Quote:
The Invisishield works really well
I have this on my rex. Well worth the funds if you ask me. You have to be relatively close to the car to distinguish where the clear coat ends and the original finish starts.
#5 Old 07-30-2004, 09:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Phys is an unknown
Anyone got a pic of one?
#6 Old 07-30-2004, 03:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
i beg to differ....

see how well it looks after three years.....

on a black car, its not that noticable, but on a light car, the 3M starshield (or whatever else its sold as) will turn yellow in less then a year. even the new stuff that they say doesnt still does....

i have the subaru OEM front end mask, and i use it often.

you should know the rules of having one:

WASH THE CAR FIRST!!!

Make sure the bra is clean

if you drive in the rain, it is a damn good idea to take it off......

take it off and wash under it often....stuff under it will eat the paint real fast.

the LeBra ones i have seen are just straight material, whereas the Subaru one has a felt lining. it is a little more expensive (i got mine from the dealer for 120) but well worth it, IMO

you can ride to where you are going, take it off, and the front end is clean....unlike the Starshield that is always there....bug guts and chips and all. true, it can be cleaned off, or if its chipped, kinda replaced, but i really dont like that stuff.

and yes, i have installed the stuff for a few years now (body shop....)

works great in small quantities (rocker panels, etc) but on the whole front of the car, looks like ass.
#7 Old 08-01-2004, 10:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

bucwylde22 is an unknown
Well, if i got a bra it would be taken off pretty much MOST of the time, except for longer highway trips. Or if i am going to be driving somewhere at night and I don't want about 5 million bugs covering my car.
Basically it will be something which isn't used much. So don't think that it will be on my car long enough to get dirt under it and cause damage.
My suby is ALWAYS clean I don't want to invest in the 3m lining, doesn't really appeal to me, it's kind of "too permanent" . i dunno..

Any idea of where I can find an OEM full front bra? Or is the lebra one good enough?
#8 Old 08-01-2004, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwylde22

Any idea of where I can find an OEM full front bra? Or is the lebra one good enough?
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer = Go to the Dealer and pick one up.
#9 Old 08-02-2004, 07:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

bucwylde22 is an unknown
yeah, i know you can get them at the dealer I am just afraid that it will cost me a whol elot of $$$$.
Just thought u could get the OEM one somewhere else. I'll call my local dealer today and see what they will charge for one.

Would it still be that much better than the lebra one?
#10 Old 08-02-2004, 08:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

from what i have seen, yes. i have never seen a LeBra that has a lining....they scuff the paint.

but even one with a lining will do it too. just be careful. its kinda funny too...the one from Subaru says right on the box "NOT for a WRX" something about low ariflow on the 02-03 models. of course, i have the STi scoop, so it doesnt matter. but i think they changed some stuff for the 04's.

that whole dealer being too high thing is a misconception....alot of parts are cheaper from the dealer then aftermarket...
#11 Old 08-02-2004, 10:48 AM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
230 dollars or whatever it is for their POS boost gauge!? The short shifter from the dealer is 295 dollars. And last but not least, Carbon Fiber brake handle 295 bucks!? From what I've seen everything from the dealer is WAY overpriced.
#12 Old 08-02-2004, 12:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/04rs-exterior.html

This is listed under Impreza but it's $95

I don't know if this is the same item Joey was referring to though.
#13 Old 08-02-2004, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

that would be it. get the full one of course...

and if you buy ANY OE PERFORMANCE part, you are a moron. i said PARTS not PERFORMANCE PARTS
#14 Old 08-03-2004, 11:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc735
that would be it. get the full one of course...

and if you buy ANY OE PERFORMANCE part, you are a moron. i said PARTS not PERFORMANCE PARTS
They don't really have any performance OE parts available from Subaru IMO. Mostly just visual add-ons for outside and inside your WRX. Well the STi suspension upgrades but nothing for more Wagon Power!

subaruwrxparts.com has some Whiteline parts and thats about it.
#15 Old 08-29-2004, 05:54 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I would not advise using a car bra. The sun is viscious. People that leave them on, even for like a few months, they'll be a difference from fade, depending on each case, but you said you'd use it pretty rarely. I use a car cover I bought from the dealer since I don't garage mine. Silver starts to turn grey after a few years...

I've also heard that they screw around with the intake to your TMIC. How badly, i don't know, but from what I've read, they tell you to leave it off.

Finally, if you do use one. DO NOT get the ones with the mesh that keeps the bugs out. Apparerently, those things suffocate your radiator at high speeds, they just can't seem to penetrate the fine mesh too well at those speeds. Of course the easiest way to avoid most of the dings is to stop tailgating =P Even then, you'll still get a few =/

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae