Sharp HID problem!! Need advice - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

1fstwrx02 is an unknown
Sharp HID problem!! Need advice

Hey everyone, I just got the sharp hid 35w lights 7k and put them in a few days ago. (They look amazing by the way) but my dash lights inside of the car had the "bright light" indicator on. This caused me to not be able to switch over to my brights, or turn on my fog lights. My HID's are the only thing that is able to come on (besides park light/turn signal). My friend said that it must need the heavy duty wiring kit, connecting it straight to the battery, so I ordered that and put that in tonight, but it did not help anything, I still have the same problem as I had before, HID's but not able to use bright lights or even fog lights.

Any help would be much appreciated, I really love my HID's but I would also like to be able to use my fog lights and brights when applicable. Thank you in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2008, 02:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxman420 is more helpful than not
I'm not doubting your skill, but you are completely sure that everything is plugged into it's correct place? When I installed mine, I also had to unplug my day time running lights.
#3 Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

1fstwrx02 is an unknown
I'm pretty sure that everything is in its place, it is all plug and play, so there is not to many ways to mess it up. One thing that it might be is that I also bought some new headlights off of ebay. When I first put them in, just to test them out, the bright light indicator came on too, but I just figured it was because the passenger side low beam bulb was out...anyone think the new headlight wiring can be part of the problem??
#4 Old 10-07-2008, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Well, are the ebay headlights projectors? OEM replacements? What wiring? You should just need to intergrate the ballasts and hid bulbs into the system and it should actually use less voltage to power them up. From what I remember, it takes less power to run them and you get a brighter light. One of the main reasons toyota put them in their battery car (prius).
#5 Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

1fstwrx02 is an unknown
Yeah, the ebay headlights are projectors. The wiring is the same plugs as my oem plugs. B/c the bright light indicator is on, does that through a code that I can scan to see what it thinks is wrong?
#6 Old 10-08-2008, 07:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
"Throws" a code. I guess...i'm lost as to what the bright light indicator is at this point. You could try and scan it.

Edit: Oh, did you get the Hi/Low combo kit or just a single output kit. If you didn't get the Hi/Lo. I'm not positive...but, the bugeyes might need that kit. That might be what the bright light indicator is? Guessing that is the high beam indicator light on the dash? If it thinks the High beams are on, it most likely will not let you use fogs like most cars.

2nd Edit: Hi/Lo Bi-Xenon kits for H4/H13/9003/9007 bulb types are available here: Untitled Document. Your stock headlights use the 9007 bulb which would require that kit. Which those kits are not available in 7k temp. I think that's where you goofed up man. Sorry, Not....trying to bust balls. Just trying to help out. That's if the E-bay headlights kept the same bulb style. If not, let us know.
#7 Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

1fstwrx02 is an unknown
The bulbs that I got are for the low beam only, and the high beams are on their own bulb. The type of bulb that I got at the H7's, the bulbs that came in the new headlight that I got are the 9007, but the HID kit that I got are the H7's, which went in very nicely.

Is there any way to "trick the car" into not thinking that the brights are on? b/c i would really love to use my fogs, and occasionally switch over to my brights
#8 Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

You're confusing the heck out of me. Sorry, but it's true. Ok, the new ebay projectors came with 9007 bulbs? Which is a single bulb/dual filament. But your saying that you put H7s in the low beam spot and some how got a different bulb for highbeams? How? Their shouldn't be two spots for H7 and 9005 bulbs. If the new headlight assembly uses 9007 bulbs. It should just be one bulb for two outputs (Hi and Low), if thats the case. At this point, you might want to take a picture of the back of the ebay projectors and post/link the photo of it. Because if the new assembly has H7 and 9005 spots. Then your wiring is going to need to be changed for it to stop thinking it's using 9007s still.

I hope, i'm not coming off like a dick. But, it's hard to know what i'm dealing with at this point.
#9 Old 10-13-2008, 10:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

1fstwrx02 is an unknown
k...I will post pics as soon as I can
#10 Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The problem is you have not really thought out the parts you have bought.If the HID kit was for the stock headlights,then thats what you need to use.If you havd the "Ebay" headlight before the HID kit and had a problem with the bright indicator,it doesn't take a rocket scientest to figure out that is your problem.The ECU doesn't care about what your headlights are doing.There is a good possibility you are blinding everyone on the road as well,which is bad.You could possibly cause an accident.FYI- If those are the generic cheap projector Ebay lights you have wasted money by downgrading from stock.The reflector design in a headlight means alot.The stock lights have real engineers designing them.Thats why aftermarket headlights (Morrete,Prodrive,STi) cost so much,the engineering and R&D behind them.Post a link of the exact kit you purchased and the headlights you bought.Also did you even try contacting Sharp?Would have been the first thing I did as they probably would know more about this than most.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#11 Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
You might try their forum as well. They are a supporting vendor for the site:
SharpHID - WRXtuners

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 10-13-2008, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Good thing the bat signal still works on these forums. LOL...Because I need some extra help on this one. Thanks guys.
#13 Old 10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
when i put hids on my car they would only work if you had the high beams on. I figured out that the adapter for the ballast input that plugs into the stock light socket was reversed so it only gave the ballast power when the high beams where on. Try testing the input power (with a test light) to the ballast to confirm that the ballast is getting power only when the low beams are on, and shuts off when you switch it to high beams.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#14 Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

roadtrip1098 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fstwrx02 View Post
Hey everyone, I just got the sharp hid 35w lights 7k and put them in a few days ago. (They look amazing by the way) but my dash lights inside of the car had the "bright light" indicator on. This caused me to not be able to switch over to my brights, or turn on my fog lights. My HID's are the only thing that is able to come on (besides park light/turn signal). My friend said that it must need the heavy duty wiring kit, connecting it straight to the battery, so I ordered that and put that in tonight, but it did not help anything, I still have the same problem as I had before, HID's but not able to use bright lights or even fog lights.

Any help would be much appreciated, I really love my HID's but I would also like to be able to use my fog lights and brights when applicable. Thank you in advance for any input.
In keeping with my fashon I did not check the daye on the posts so I may be ressurecting this one. The Sharp HID site has both the battery wiring harness and the "Light out indicator bypass" which should solve the problem listed above. If not I'll find out the hard was as I just processed payment on my kit.
#15 Old 02-26-2010, 11:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

fifty1fifty is an unknown
i have the same problem but with a different kit. i got the 9007 kit in 8k with the battery harness. same problem triple checked all the conections and could not figure it out.