scratches - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-20-2011, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
scratches

I have these white marks on my car that are not really scratches but they kinda look like it. They almost look like they can be buffed out in some way.

Any tips on how to get these out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
you got swiped by another vehicle! use a wet Mr. Clean magic eraser, then when they are all gone you will have slight swirl marks. At this point you will want to immediately hit the area with some polish or carnuba wax. Then standing back and checking the surface from all angles make sure that it blends with the surrounding paint, you may just want to wax either the whole panel or the whole car depending on where its located. thats the fast way I have found to get unwanted stuff off the clear. It is very important that if you buff with an air tool or electric that you keep moving so you dont burn your clear, it will start to become yellowish if you begin to burn. I just recommend the ol elbow grease method... there are other ways to do this as well that you can search on youtube, this is just my favorite fast method.... best of luck to ya.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#3 Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
Thank you,

I will give it a try. and i didnt get swiped I hit black ice during a ice storm and went into a median. Messed part of the cosmetics up of the car luckly nothing performance wise
#4 Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
ok, knowing that, i would like you to post a pic so I can see how deep your damage actually is. if your clear is harmed you just may make more damage, unless you just go with a rubbing compound, then polish. But without my eyes being able to see what you have going on, I wouldn't want you to do any kind of sanding on it. magic erasers are just that, they are very fine sponge sanders. please post a pic asap or go the compound method, ...glad I could be of some help, ill check back on this tomorrow.

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
what I do every spring is take a buffing wheel to my car, I go over it with rubbing compound which gets all the more noticeable scratches out, then go over it with step 2 and then step 3 which is swirl remover. Makes a paint job almost look new.
#6 Old 03-21-2011, 05:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
Blaze right now my car is getting worked on. I should have it back by the end of this week. But i will show you the white marks im talking about.

This is the day of the accident and o yea it doesnt look this bad anymore..

If you look in the 3rd picture in the bottom right you will see the " X " and those are the white marks however, if there is a way i can repair the roof (picture 4) i would like to do that as cheap as possible. i think i will need car paint for top but thats not a problem.
Attached Images

#7 Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
you need a new paint job, and MBP is one expensive color

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#8 Old 03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

yupperz:eek:. Basco's right, you need new paint in the worst way, there is no bringing that back. make sure they spray whole panels too, not blend, its not worth the hassle of a blend job. and baumgartenb, be careful doing that over and over again, compounds remove swirls and scratches by taking down the clear/enamel around them. 4 years from now you wont have any more clear to polish. Just use a wax and your muscles. not air or electricity anymore or you will definitely regret it...

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#9 Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

now that I looked the pics over again, you need an entire new paint job, so shop around and do your homework on body shops in your area....

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
LOL Like i said it doesnt look as bad. Its already been to a body shop. The worst part on it is the pillars. And i think i need completly new pillars to make that happen. I was just concerned about the quarter panel side cause I think thats something i can do myself. Also as far as the roof goes cant i use the paint from the following website ( i read it on a post ). Seems like it would work it I taped it correctly and throw a clear coat at the end.

Automotive Spray Paint custom matched

I am not so much worried about a whole new paint job that costs a lot I am more worried performance wise and I have had a few things done since the accident. its been about 4months.
#11 Old 03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
You can't really replace the pillars, I thought you were talking about the internal trim piece. The only way to fix that damage is to remove the paint prime the area, apply body filler, shape the filler, primer over that, and paint it. (you would have to do all of that and more to replace the pillar)

And that paint is a touch up not meant to paint full body panels, like Randy said take it to a body shop

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#12 Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Painting a car really isn't that hard, you can do all the work yourself in a garage you just have to be meticulous a you could do a decent job over a solid long weekend

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#13 Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
The only time you can get scratches out by wet sanding or using compound is when the scratch is only as deep as the clear coat. what compound does is heat the clear coat and blend it into the scratches. What you have there is scratches past the base coat...filler or putty will be needed before you spray, as basco said.
#14 Old 03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
Well as far as the white marks i could just use wax and lots of muscle to get it out lol?

As far as this touch up paint. I am ordering a new bumper for the car would it work to use this paint and throw a clear coat on it?

Cause it would save me some money lol
#15 Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

The roof, a-pillar, and c-pillars all need fresh paint the only thing I can see polish removing might be the Xs on the rear fender.

and you first need to strip the paint then prime, then body filler, then re-prime, sand, base coat, clear coat

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt