Save money with EBay? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subieboo204 is an unknown
Save money with EBay?

I want to get a roof spoiler for my 04 wrx, i plan on pairing it with a cf wongless trunk. Do u think its worht spending 100 to get one off ebay compared to 300 for a name brand? I want to save money since ima probally blow at least 400 on the trunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2010, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pimmeh is an unknown
over the years i've spent a decent ammout of cash on ebay on car good.. some of the stuff was exactly what i hoped some not.. i'd never buy any engine driveline stuff or espically and electronics off ebay again unless it was some oem replacement parts that can't really be faked! basically if it's not a big purchase and you can live with it if its not ligit your good to go.. i just found that all the performance stuff on ebay are Copys of name brand gear.. for example i bought a frount lip for my 01 BMW it wasn't the real thing but a cheaper "chineese made" replica..did i care.. not at all it was like $250 cheaper than then german made and only cost $50 in the first place... if you stick to stuff that dosent really make a differance if it's not quite perfect its all good...now goin and buying a turbo or intercooler or any mod that your cars life depends on....###### a good idea to go to a local dealer!!
#3 Old 02-01-2010, 08:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

word... i feel like with many other things your paying for the brand
#4 Old 02-01-2010, 09:17 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Trust me its more than just the brand or the name you are paying for. Who do you think actually does the R&D for the product, then invest the time and money for the materials and tests it and all that? I mean a lip or maybe a spoiler, I guess you could rip them off pretty easy, maybe even an inferior exhaust, but I wont trust my hard earned money and decent ride for that.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-01-2010, 10:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It really depends. For example, I bought a prodrive replica lip on ebay and it fit freakin PERFECT. It's really a hit or miss. In this case (cf trunk) I think you're much better off going name brand (or better yet, stock...)
#6 Old 02-02-2010, 12:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

AkSoul is an unknown
i second the non engine parts statement. I've been shopping on ebay for years and have bought many things. Dont expect awhole lot and you won't be disappointed. I bought a surewin products catback from ebay for $165. Its a cobb copy it fits great and sounds badass. It's been on for 20k miles and works fine. Also if it fails or falls off it wont cost me my engine...
#7 Old 02-02-2010, 08:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Ebay is not a brand nor is it a shop/store. What you have to be careful is with who do you buy stuff from. I have bought great stuff on ebay for way less than any other place and every single thing is original, the only thing that I have bought that is a copy is my front lip which I bought for 75 bucks, Irefused to pay 300+ for the real thing only to mess it up on every driveway...
#8 Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Yea im not getting the trunk off het... im looking into vis racing cf trunk but the roof spoiler i am on here. I want a carbon fiber one and then be able to pain the sides to match the car. Heres the link to the main one i was checking out.
02-07 SUBARU WRX STI IMPREZA ROOF SPOILER CARBON FIBER : eBay Motors (item 200434829386 end time Mar-03-10 10:50:25 PST)
CARBON FIBER 02-07 SUBARU WRX STI IMPREZA ROOF SPOILER : eBay Motors (item 200427271838 end time Feb-10-10 15:13:03 PST)
#9 Old 02-02-2010, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Do not get the roof vane spoiler off of Ebay. Only buy the Subaru one from your dealer, or https://www.chaplinssubarugenuinepar...roducts_id=941

The factory part come in three pieces, which means it's much easier to line up before you drill permanent holes into your roof.

The ones from Ebay are all one piece, with bolt studs sticking out the bottom. It's much harder to line up. Some people have done it, but it's a royal PITA.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#10 Old 02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

03sonicyWrX is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 03sonicyWrX
IMO i would not buy any carbon pieces off ebay, after ordering carbon pieces i've come to find out many are not an exact fit and you have to mess around with it to get everything to line up. Ebay carbon is most likely far from perfect so i'd stay away from it. Seibon is the way to go if you want nice carbon. And ill just throw this out there, i saw a rex with an ebay front mount and it looks hideous! tiny inlet pipes and not a good fit at all! So stick to the basics with ebay parts
#11 Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03sonicyWrX View Post
IMO i would not buy any carbon pieces off ebay, after ordering carbon pieces i've come to find out many are not an exact fit and you have to mess around with it to get everything to line up. Ebay carbon is most likely far from perfect so i'd stay away from it. Seibon is the way to go if you want nice carbon. And ill just throw this out there, i saw a rex with an ebay front mount and it looks hideous! tiny inlet pipes and not a good fit at all! So stick to the basics with ebay parts
See, this is misleading...

Ebay does not make any carbon parts or intercoolers or anything. Ebay is just a virtual flea market. And you can find genuine Seibon stuff on ebay.

#12 Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
You can also get scammed. So, buyer beware....

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#13 Old 02-03-2010, 12:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

yea i mean ive put a lot of money into this just wanted to see if i could save a buck for the same result
#14 Old 02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I found my HKS Hi-Power Carbon-Ti cat back from a seller on eBay for a better deal than I could find anywhere else (part + shipping) and it arrived at my house in perfect condition.

I also found my STi V-Limited knock-off plastic front lip from another seller and it arrived in perfect condition and there were no fitment issues.

It's probably a little riskier than buying directly from a reputable vendor, but sometimes you get lucky and things work out. Although, eBay seems to be pretty good about scammer protection and getting your money back if things don't work out. Just be sure to fully read about your seller's return policies and see if they have lots of positive rep and all that... I think common sense prevails most of the time.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#15 Old 02-12-2010, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXnewB is an unknown
eBay has some sweet deals on some parts! You just gotta make sure you do your research before buying anything from there. I would recommend asking yourself 6 things when buying from ebay.

1. Is the price still reasonable for the item you are looking for?
2. Does the seller have an eBay store?
3. Does the seller have Excellent feedback and customer service? (ie... 99.9% positive with 15,000 sales is usually safe)
4. Does the seller have a website? Does that website have an address and contact information?
5. What is the seller's return policy and warranty information?
6. Is this a Genuine Product, or a poorly made replica?

Stick to that, and you are usually safe. Of course there are exceptions either way. Ebay is a good place to get parts, just make sure you use your head and do your research.