Replacing the stock speakers - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-02-2003, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

misubie is an unknown
Question Replacing the stock speakers

Couple of questions here. . .Who has replaced their stock speakers. . .and what size/type did you replace them with. I heard you can wedge a shallow 6.5 in the front and a 5.25 in the rear doors. Is this something I should attempt myself, or let a car audio shop do? All I want to do is get a small amp and some nice speakers. . .I'm not planning on replacing the stock deck.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by misubie; 09-02-2003 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-03-2003, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

350Zya is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 350Zya
i got mine at best buy they helped me out i forget what size they were but i got pioneers they sound good but i need to get an amp for them the stock head unit sucks but my speakers were like $100 for all 4 and like another 80 or sumthing for them to install them with dyna mat now they dont sound like sh!t. just go to best buy and they will tell you what size's u need but i think it was lik 6 in the from and 5 in the back

[b]SHIFT[/b][color=red]_[/color]heart
[b]SHIFT[/b][color=red]_[/color]ideas
[b]SHIFT[/b][color=red]_[/color]life

[b]350Z[/b][color=red]_[/color]4EVER
#3 Old 09-28-2003, 10:20 PM
Kev
WRXtuners Member

Kev is an unknown
I have stock speakers and a Alpine head unit, it rocks. I would replace head unit first, then speakers if you think you need too.
#4 Old 09-29-2003, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Tut4u2 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Tut4u2
Yeah the stock HU doesnt pump out enough wattage and it is pretty bad, with the exception of the 6 cd changer.

Che
#5 Old 11-09-2003, 12:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

rexy00 is an unknown
6 1/2" speakers fit alright but when you go to install them in the surround u may have to space them out with a few washers so that the magnet doesnt hit the window when it slides into its track.that is all i did with a friend of mines WRX and it worked fine.hope u have some with trying that.
#6 Old 11-10-2003, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXFL is an unknown
I have replaced every single audio unit in my '02 WRX. It is all Sony Xplod with the exception of a Kenwood Digital EQ and INFINITY 652I 6-1/2" rear speakers. The proble is that expecally in the front doors you have the window that hits your magnet on the back of most speakers. But what I did any you probably can make to fit most speakes is a rise to raise the speakers forwars a bit. I used the weird front grill that came with my sony Xplod speakers and cut off the top and turned them inside out and mounted the speaker to them. I am sure you could fashion something out of wood though. If you want better detail of what I dont let me know but you can fit most speakers in there if you add a rise to them.
#7 Old 11-11-2003, 09:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevewrx is an unknown
Can larger speakers fit behind the factory grille, even if you shim them out???
#8 Old 11-13-2003, 01:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXFL is an unknown
Yes you have an inch or so to play with depending on the speakers you get. Mine are Sony XS-W1321 5-1/4" Speakers 160W I just took the grill that came with it and cut it to fit and fliped it upside down. If you want I maybe can take some pics of it.
#9 Old 11-14-2003, 08:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

stevewrx is an unknown
Thanks wrxfl,
I'm assuming you used the sony grille as a spacer?
and they fit behind the stock grilles? I'm sure I could fabricate something out of MDF also.
I'd love to see a pic if you have one.
Has anyone mounted the tweeters in the stock location?
If I go with an aftermarket single DIN head unit, any ideas on what to do with the other space? - I was thinking of mounting a radar detector remote display in a blank plate.
Steve
#10 Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXFL is an unknown
A) yes I modified the sony grill as a spacer.
B) yes they fit behind the stock grill
C) I put a fill DIN Kenwood Digital EQ in there it works great and you definatly need an EQ if you are going out to mutiple amps. or you can opt for a 1/2 din EQ and buy a 1/2 DIN pocket online. I'll get you the pics this week.