replacing factory boost gauge - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxtacy19
or you can get the right readings from your laptop and save your money
I know of no such device. Yes, most engine management systems give you an accurate boost reading. But they are way more expensive than any boost gague.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
what did you use as a controll? how did you know what the ACTUALL psi reading was that you compared to the guage?
post #18 of 22 Old 07-07-2005, 08:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Used a friend's $3500 vaccuum/pressure gauge tapped into the same place as the boost gauges, plus the reading from the UTEC. I'm not sure the brand, but it's for industrial/military applications, and from what I've heard it's among the most accurate pressure gauges in existence.

The facts speak for themselves. The electronic ones were all within .1 psi of each other, and within .1 psi of both the UTEC and the pressure gauge. The mechanical ones were not. In fact, all read lower than actual pressure. Some as much as 2 psi lower.

But, you seem convinced that I'm wrong, so buy whatever you want for your car. I'll stick with electronic gauges on my car.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-07-2005, 11:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

03wrxwgn is an unknown
Cosmo....Where could I find a Elec. boost gauge? All I seem to find are mechanical!
post #20 of 22 Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxwgn
Cosmo....Where could I find a Elec. boost gauge? All I seem to find are mechanical!
Blitz, DEFI, APEXi, GReddy, and even some autometer are electric. Check out JSCSpeed or even Gruppe-S for some.
post #21 of 22 Old 07-07-2005, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i just wasent sure what steps you had taken to make sure your test was accurate.

Quote:
The facts speak for themselves. The electronic ones were all within .1 psi of each other, and within .1 psi of both the UTEC and the pressure gauge. The mechanical ones were not. In fact, all read lower than actual pressure. Some as much as 2 psi lower.
cant argue with that.
post #22 of 22 Old 07-07-2005, 12:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrxwgn
Autometer makes several electronic models as well as the others listed. I have their carbon fiber gauge (with yellow writing, so it matches my car ). It has a peak hold and warning light that works great. I only wish the illumination was better.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the Greddy gauges. Those will be on my new car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement