replacing factory boost gauge - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 07-01-2005, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
replacing factory boost gauge

seriously considering one of these fine instruments

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=2712

and was wondering 2 things,

1) will this fit in the pod thta houses my curent fromt the factory boost guage?

2) its a single hose i can run through the firewall and hook up where the curent boost guage is, corect?

thx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 02:48 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I thought the word was that there was no such thing as an accurate mechanical boost guage. If you're going to replace the stock boost guage, get something digital

or I could be totally missing the point and there is no such thing as a digital guage.
post #3 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 02:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
You aren't doing yourself any good going with a mechanical gauge. It will be as innacurate as the stock one.

If you want an accurate one, get an electronic gauge.

And, no, nothing fits the tiny stock boost cotnrol housing...
post #4 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
err.... maybe im just il informed but.

1) what about a mechanic gauge is unrelyable

2) is it just mechanical boost guages that are unrlyable? or all mechanicals

that being the case, what should i get?
post #5 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

post #6 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Mechanical gauges aren't accurate because of the length of tubing you have to use for one thing. Plus, they respond slower. It's not just Autometer gauges, it's all mechanical gauges.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

so, what about mechanical guage for something besides boost, is that ok?

the only other guage im going to get i think is an air fuel ratio
post #8 of 22 Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, then you run into another problem. The Autometer A/F gauge won't work on a WRX. It is a narrow band gauge, so it only reads ratios close to 14.7:1 or whatever stoich is. Even if you could get it to work and read the proper range, the WRX uses a wideband O2 sensor, and the output voltage won't be interpreted correctly by the gauge. So, you could get a narrow band sensor or something if you really wanted to use the Autometer gauge, but since WRX's run rich, and start knocking around 13:1 the gauge would just read rich all the time.

If you want a AFR gauge for a WRX, you need a wideband gauge with its own sensor. The factory sensor is actually a "semi-wideband" and is in between narrow- and wideband. If you have it to spend, I recommend the Greddy electronic boost and AFR gauges. A friend had them, and they are extremely nice, and as accurate as anything I've seen.

But, if you are serious about tuning, I would get an AFR meter that will allow you to do datalogging as well. Something like the TurboXS Tuner, Innovate LM-1 (what I have), Zeitronics, or Motec. There are a few others that I'm leaving out as well....
post #9 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

yeah the data acquisition would be nice.

i looked into the boost guage thing a bit more, turns out mechanical guages are more accurate for boost then electronic. perty much any mechanical guage is going to have = accuracy because the guage reads pressure in a hose. if you add an electrical component, its just one more thing to give an incorect reading before it sends to the guage.

i allways go stright to autometer pro comp ###, thats what i have allways used.

i know the wrx runs rich and im not worried about that, i just want to know if it starts to go lean

rich cars waste gas, lean cars blow up, so its in my best interest to spend the hundred bucks on a nice AFR
post #10 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

Actually, that's wrong. We tried 6 different mechanical gauges on a car here and they all had inconsistent readings. Some were as much as 1.5 psi off some of the others. We tried 3 electronic gauges and they were all within .1 psi of each other.
post #11 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

herm... i dont see how that is posible. all its doing is reading the pressure in a hose right?
post #12 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 03:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

The mechanism reading the boost inside the gauge is not as accurate as the MAP sensor on the electronic gauge.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrxtacy19 is an unknown
or you can get the right readings from your laptop and save your money
post #14 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
The mechanism reading the boost inside the gauge is not as accurate as the MAP sensor on the electronic gauge.
herm... im still scepticle

Quote:
or you can get the right readings from your laptop and save your money
i do have a spare laptop lying around, how much would it cost me to get a device to hook the laptop too?
post #15 of 22 Old 07-06-2005, 04:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets
herm... im still scepticle
I'm just talking from personal experience. We have a friend who owns an auto parts store. We tried every boost gauge he carried on a friend's car (with no other mods to the car, and with weather conditions within 2-3 degrees of each other) and found out how inaccurate mechanical gauges are. All of them read lower than the actual boost, but one was almost 2 psi low. Granted it was a cheaper one, but we tried the high dollar ones as well.

All the electronic gauges were accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement