repainting wheels - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-04-2014, 08:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
repainting wheels

So, I am repainting my wheels. I purchases some sandable primer (by accident), not the self etching like last time. Will this be a problem? I have to drive 1 hr round trip to get some different stuff and I just don't have the time right now to do that. I would assume this stuff will adhere to the paint that is already on there. Just looking for some insight.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-04-2014, 11:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Depends on what kind of paint you are already using, If you have the OEM paint and clear on your wheels right now then i would recommend grabbing EPOXY PRIMER. the self etching stuff is good for painting metals with a "blued" or baked on finish. for painting on top of paint i like epoxy primers and then sandable primers. the epoxy primers smooth out really nice. the sandable primers are designed for repair work, they are formulated to be smooth enough and soft enough to sand with high grit paper.

If you have painted your wheels in the past and did not clear coat them then a deep clean and sand able primer should be fine. otherwise i would match your primer to your last clear coat just to be safe.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cool, thanks Arc. So, I need to go get some epoxy primer...
#4 Old 04-04-2014, 01:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I take it you are painting over a paint you previously applied?
Are you planning on stripping your last paint job?
Did you clear-coat, Enamel, Lacquer, or wax your previous paintjob?

If you didn't clearcoat/wax your last paint job you can use the wet sand able primer you have Primer sticks great to paint but not as well to clear coats. for new applications or applications where you are planning on stripping down the previous coats to bare material i like epoxy. Epoxy Primer works really well on OEM clear-coats for me, Its not cheap but it'll stick to anything. Epoxy is probably overkill if you are painting on top of a rattle-can paint job.

What color are you thinking?

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#5 Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

I am scuffing up the previous rattle can paint job. I'm going to get some self etching tomorrow. Thanks for the input arc