Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Remove upper half of STi wing? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/remove-upper-half-sti-wing-4735/)

f4phantom 03-30-2004 07:39 PM

Remove upper half of STi wing?

For the love of God, can someone point me to some options for getting rid of the gawdy wing on my new STi?

I know the preferred solution is to swap trunk lids with a regular WRX.

Until I can locate another local WRX owner willing to swap, I'd like to do whatever I can to minimize the stock wing.

I know removing it leaves 17 holes in the trunk lid, not to mention I wouldn't have a center brake light. So I'm not willing to go that far.

But I would like to at least remove the upper part of the wing. It looks like it just unbolts pretty easily. I'd need something to cap off the exposed ends.

Is there an existing kit out there to do this? I've dredged through the net and various forums without any luck.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

BlueDemon 03-30-2004 07:53 PM

What color STi do you have? If you're WRB, I may be inclined to take a drive to Georgia and do the swap. It'd be a great excuse to hit the Dragon finally.

And as far as taking the top half of the Wing off....... :confused: I actually have no idea, however, I can tell you that in all the swap threads I have never read anywhere about a kit to remove it, or even anyone simply just Removing it.

Blue

f4phantom 03-30-2004 08:00 PM

Sorry.....It's a white STi......too darn hot down here to have a dark colored car!

White is nice....at least it gets dirty evenly.

I should probably also mention I won't have it until Friday....gotta drive down to Jacksonville, FL to pick it up and sign the paperwork.

BlueDemon 03-30-2004 08:08 PM

No, aside from swapping trunks or buying another wing, I think you're out of luck, as far as taking the top half off. I personally think the wing will grow on you.

Blue

Good luck, Have Fun.

Hans

zoinks 03-30-2004 08:33 PM

Actually you can take half the sti wing off, but IMO it doesn't look that great. Here are a couple of threads about it.

[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=413076&highlight=sti+bottom+half+wing[/url]

[url]http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51228&highlight=half+sti+wing[/url]

eris0023 03-31-2004 12:03 PM

Ummm.. dude leave that 300$$ wing on there you will learn to love it especially at 120+.. Just my opinion!

awdturbo04 03-31-2004 02:20 PM

:eek: that loookkksss ggggaaaayyyyy. Deffinatley dont do that.

IBAUCLAPlaya 03-31-2004 02:45 PM

Yeah it is ###. Remove it all the way or leave it on.

f4phantom 03-31-2004 03:23 PM

I'm sure I would love it at 120+, but since I don't intend to race, I don't expect I'll ever need it.

I'd much rather have the extra vision to make sure the lane is clear before going to "warp speed" and leaving all the traffic behind.

As I mentioned, I don't intend for it to be a permanent solution....just one until I can swap trunk lids.

-Michael

zoinks 04-01-2004 08:17 PM

:D I warned that it wasn't pretty, I would just leave it or swap trunks. I'm sure someone would want a factory STi spoiler.

Narrus 04-02-2004 06:22 AM

I would have offered to swap trunks but alas I, like Blue, have a WRB, plus he beat me to it. Id' check on NASIOC... I've seen more than one offer to swap with an STi. In fact I saw one yesterday on the MW forum.

BlueDemon 04-02-2004 06:42 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Narrus [/i]
[B]I would have offered to swap trunks but alas I, like Blue, have a WRB, plus he beat me to it. Id' check on NASIOC... I've seen more than one offer to swap with an STi. In fact I saw one yesterday on the MW forum. [/B][/QUOTE]

There may still be someone in the South East Forum still looking to swap a White WRX Trunk for a White STI trunk. You may be in luck. It's Quikrex or something like that looking to do the swap.

Blue

speedywrx 04-11-2004 09:46 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by BlueDemon [/i]
[B]

There may still be someone in the South East Forum still looking to swap a White WRX Trunk for a White STI trunk. You may be in luck. It's Quikrex or something like that looking to do the swap.

Blue [/B][/QUOTE] if only the white wrx i might be getting was a sedan and not the wagon lol

Rexer1 04-18-2004 11:52 PM

My friend who has a white 02 rex will def trade trunks with you... i would love to but mine is blue.. please find me a blue one and my life will be basically complete.. Im located in Connceticut so lemme know if you still wanna do that (i will be in virginia next week if that helps?)
hollaaa

2002 Blue WRX..... gettin faster as we speak