Remote Starters - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to Modena1230
Remote Starters

So i have a couple question about remote startes, A) can you possibly safely put them on mt cars? B) are they leagal on mt cars? C) and does anyone have one? D) do they put more wear and tear on the car? My fiance and i just moved and I now have to park out side wich i don't like, before i was in a temp. controled garage and now my car is going to have to suffer the outdoors this winter. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-09-2007, 12:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

arm0313 is an unknown
Most companies won't install a remote starter on manual trans for safety reasons. If you install it your self you have to make sure you keep the trans in neutral before you use the remote start. Otherwise it will lurch and stall.

I'm not sure about legal issues.

For wear and tear I don't see that it would put much additional wear and tear on the car it's just remotely sending a signal to engage the starter like you would by turniing the key.

However, I have heard some people blame a remote starter for air conditioning problems. They're reasoning (and it kinda makes sense) was that by starting the car with the air ON the air conditioner system doesn't get enough power and bogs down a bit (on initial start up the starter draws a large amount of power).
#3 Old 11-09-2007, 02:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

adizzle02 is an unknown
ive got a Viper remote start on my 02 which is manual tranny. There are no problems you just want to make sure you are in neutral and i always leave the parking brake on just in case. As far as wear and tear its no worse than starting the car with the key. Im not sure about being legal or not but the shops wont put them in for insurance reasons and so you can't sue them if something happens :-)
#4 Old 11-09-2007, 02:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
that is true, it seems nobody wants to install them on manual, ive always known it's possible and i knew a couple of people that had it and it worked fine. i guess the best way is to find a shop that will do it or learn to do it yourself.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#5 Old 11-09-2007, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
I called a shop that is willing to do it for 199 installed. Which seems fine to me but just out of couriosity do you have any idea how hard it is? The shop told me it would take them 3 hours.
#6 Old 11-09-2007, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

adizzle02 is an unknown
I used to be a car audio installer and 3 hours is about right ....they might be able to get it done in 2 1/2 hours. Its not terriblly difficult but its one of those things that is probably better off left to a professional to do. Plus that way they will warranty the install.
#7 Old 11-09-2007, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
They don't want to do it because you have to bypass the clutch pedal sensor. Remember if you don't push the clutch in turning the key does nothing.

That is considered a safety feature so they don't want to be liable for bypassing it.
#8 Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Modena1230 is an unknown
Oh that makes sense! thanks for your help guys.
#9 Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My friend's starter ring gear was worn out pretty bad from using his remote start. He said the the alarm wasn't always smart enough to stop cranking at the right time. He does have a lot of miles on his car though, so I don't know. Just something to think about...
#10 Old 11-13-2009, 12:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

whooosh is an unknown
Remote start for 2004 WRX wagon with mt

New to the forum and found this 2-year old thread. I figure a few things (technology, models) may have changed in the last 2 years, so I'm looking for some updated information.

Looking to have a remote start installed in my 2004 WRX wagon with MT. I'm looking for a fairly basic model that gives me the remote start and keyless entry on a single fob. Do you have a recommendation (for or against) any specific model/brand and why? Are there any must-have features that I'm over-looking by trying to keep the cost down? Is there anything I should know about integrating a remote start system with the stock keyless entry/alarm system? How long do you think it will take for a tech to install it; how much do you think the labor costs should be?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
#11 Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

whooosh is an unknown
Strike out - conflict with factory alarm

Researched brands/models online and called/emailed numerous local installers.

One installer, who had been in business only 3 months, was "on vacation" without his cell for 4-5 days and responded with a low-ball estimate. I don't trust him to do the work legally or be responsive to questions/issues.

Several installers never called/emailed back. Note to small business owners: to get sales, you need to call potential customers back.

Found an installer who seemed upfront and knowledgeable (quoted total cost based on vehicle make, model, and year - no gotchas when you get to the shop). $189 total cost quoted for a Hornet 569T (base model they install, remote start only with separate mini fob. Made by Directed Electronics, same manufacturer of Viper and Python.)

However, when I got to the shop, after I signed the waivers, turned over my keys, and the runner took the car to the garage, he came back and told me that the tech said that no remote start will function as expected without upgrading the alarm system. He said that the Subaru factory alarm system will prevent any remote start from starting the vehicle unless you leave the car unlocked. The only way around this is to disable the factory system and install a new alarm system with an integrated remote start. Oh that's $390 installed. So I had him get my car back and I left. They were either not knowledgeable or dishonest; this wrinkle was not mentioned during 2-3 phone calls before going to the shop.

The tech claimed that this problem affects all WRXs of any model year. Have any of you encountered similar problems?
#12 Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, on the bright side, at least the tech knew there would have been a problem if he installed the remote start system. I bet you'd be even more upset if you had gotten the remote start system installed and later found out there were complications and were forced to buy an aftermarket alarm system. Sucks that it had to happen that way, but I think maybe they deserve a little break. Customer service employees don't always know those details like the techs do. At least the tech was honest and saved you some money and a potentially worse headache... gotta remember, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place and it sounds to me like they went with the best possible solution. Hopefully they relayed that info to whoever you talked to on the phone so it won't happen again. Live and learn, I guess.

Also, I was under the impression that it was illegal to install a remote start system on any car with a manual transmission since many of us leave our cars in gear when we park and that could be disastrous if the car were to be started - even by accident.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#13 Old 12-01-2009, 07:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just one of those dumb reasons to get a turbo timer, lol. They wont work unless you leave the car in nueatral . But OP Im sorry to hear your troubles. I feel the same way as John though, at least they really didnt take your money for nothing. Best of luck with trying to get the setup you want accomplished.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#14 Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

whooosh is an unknown
Agreed; I'm glad they told me about the issues before the actual install. You have to appreciate a business that will take a no-sale over a botch job.

My understanding is that a correct (legal) install will not energize the starter unless the car is in neutral. If not, nothing happens.
#15 Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
There shouldn't be any problems installing them as long as you find a good installer. We do them at Best Buy all the time. I have several friends with remote starts on their STi's. You just have to get into the habit of leaving your car in neutral.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae