Radar Detector Power Source - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WaveBye is an unknown
Radar Detector Power Source

I plan to install a V1 detector in my new '11 WRX this weekend. I would appreciate ideas on the best/easiest/cleanest place to pull power. Obviously, I do not have wiring diagrams or shop manuals for the car (yet!).

More info: I have a sunroof, but do not have the homelink or auto-dimming mirror, so power must be available at the top of the windshield. I pulled power from the sunroof switch area for the V1 in my old SVTF, but don't know what is under the cover in this car.

Thanks for any help.
J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-03-2010, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Does the cig lighter run only when the ignition is on ?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-2011, 01:20 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
Yes the cigarette lighter only runs when the ignition is in the ACC or ON position. I ran my radar detector hard wired using this genius little setup I found at O'Reilly Auto Parts (Checker, Autozone, Napa all work the same) that will allow you to tap into a fuse and it comes out and gives you 2 fuse mounting spots. I can't really think of a good way to describe it. It has 2 small blades that insert into the regular fuse spot, and then it has a spot for the original fuse so it can complete the original circuit, and gives another circuit that you now have fused as well. The second circuit is the one I use for the radar detector and I run it with a 2 AMP fuse. The only splice I had to do was when I soldered the radar detector wire to the wire coming off the cool little fuse thing.

Since my description of it sucked, here: Bussman Fuse Taps - That is the exact thing I'm talking about. I think it's great also for when I want to sell the car in the distant future for how easy it will be to take out. Another idea I had after the fact was that you could get one of the 12V plugs like the cigarette lighter and wire that up under the dash so you don't have to hack into your radar detector cord. Just an idea.

Sorry I'm just that lazy that I don't want to go out in the cold to tell you what fuse I tapped into, but it's the radio fuse slot that I tapped into, so whichever one is listed on your fuse cover as the one for the radio is the one you want.

Hope that helps!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Is that the same product people use to hook up gauges on the A-pillar?

John
07 WRX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement