Question on changing wheel color - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-17-2006, 08:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

nbr1echo is an unknown
Question on changing wheel color

I know this may sound dumb to some but oh well. Here goes. First off I love my car and I also love the wheels it comes with stock. At least the design and shape of them. My question is this. I'm thinking about changing the color of the wheels to a gold color. How do I go about doing that the best way. I'd like to have them painted but I don't want it to mess them up and flake or something. I just saw a couple beautiful Suby's in a magazine that had the gold wheels. Made me change my mind from gun metal grey actually. So first off, is this a good or bad Idea. Either way could you give me a reasoning as to why? Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

NasbaTR is an unknown
powder coating is a possibility
#3 Old 07-17-2006, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

nbr1echo is an unknown
tnx

persiate it bro. I'll look into that
#4 Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
If you're low on budget and can't get it done the right way, you can always do the rattle can method and do it yourself. A few members on these boards, several on nasioc.com, and myself have done it.

Quality is alright and chips much easier, but that's the beauty of having left over cans on the shelf for touch ups. Definatly a time consuming effort nonetheless.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
How much does powdercoating cost typically... I've actually been considering getting my 03 WRX wheels powdercoated gold to match the JDM STi wagon. I figure it's cheaper than buying the actual STi wheels from Japan but it would be good to know a ballpark figure on how much powdercoating would be.
#6 Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lil_G is an unknown
Yeah! Anybody know how much? I've always loved gold rims. Oh...and how much for paintin' brake calipers?
#7 Old 07-17-2006, 11:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

trek98xc is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to trek98xc
Powdercoating weakens the wheel. Just something to keep in mind. Brake calipers you can do your self. If you want to waste the money on getting your stock calipers painted you might as well get some 4 pot brakes off an 06. then you can get red black or grey and youll be improving braking.

rob
▼SbiΣ Mi▼
#8 Old 07-18-2006, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek98xc
Powdercoating weakens the wheel. Just something to keep in mind. Brake calipers you can do your self. If you want to waste the money on getting your stock calipers painted you might as well get some 4 pot brakes off an 06. then you can get red black or grey and youll be improving braking.
If powdercoating weakens it, is their any other alternative to painting them? And how does it weaken it... I'm curious
#9 Old 07-22-2006, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

HuanWRX is an unknown
Powder coeating can cost anywhere from $80-$100 maybe for a single wheel. The problem might be that they bake it in an oven for hecka long so that may weaken the rims. SO thinking about it, 4 wheel, about 80 each would be like 320...better off jus saving up for nice professional rims
#10 Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
i would like to paint my wheels silver, as they stand now they are a dark grey. so my question is, can i take them to a body shop and have them spray the wheels in a silver automotive paint and then clear coat them?
#11 Old 12-26-2007, 08:44 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You could, or there have been several people on here that have painted them on their own with great results. If you want to just pay for paint, do it yourself, if you dont mind paying someone for the work, take them to a shop.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

dsm2wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to dsm2wrx
wheel painting is easy, the hardest part is sanding the wheel down, esp. if the wheel has a complex design.
painting calipers is easy too. i've removed the entire caliper before, and i've left it on and taped everything off; method B is way easier and looks just as good. plus you don't have to bleed your brakes.
#13 Old 12-26-2007, 03:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

ajskladanek is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to ajskladanek
I haven't painted my wheels yet but i have painted my cousins on his dsm just sanded them down and rattle canned them but we used engine enamel its a little more durable than plain old spray paint and you can find it in just about any color.

new and improved.