QUESTION about Factory radio SUbaru WRX 2002 !!!!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

alexxxphilly is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to alexxxphilly
QUESTION about Factory radio SUbaru WRX 2002 !!!!!

i got a subby wrx 2002 with factory radio and factory speakers and sounds like shit... speakers are fine but after 20 sounds like the radio has no watts no power...
I also have a 99 subaru legacy factory radio and speakers says "80 watts" ha and sounds 100 times better....
how many watts does the stock wrx 2002 radio have? think i can just change the speaker and itll sound way better? or the factory radio just realy sucks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2009, 10:52 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Most factory radios are LOW wattage output. Like 9. LOL. Seriously, swapping out the head unit in a nonmosson system is normally the best bet. This will also give you much more control of your sound, much better then "Bass vs Trebble".. LOL.. Just keep in mind that the stock speakers are also not that great and 7 years old. Depending on abuse they might be on the way out as well. But normall a new aftermarket 40 or so watt per channel head unit will fix things.

Eidt: Yet I'm in the process of putting the stocker back in.. hahahaha..

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

LOL i know what you mean... in m y mind i just wanted to leave the stock radio 6cd changers enoguh and the put subs and change the fact speakers.... but idk what im gona do yet... all i know the factory 99 legacy radio sounds way better than the factory 2002 wrx! its crazy !!!!
post #4 of 6 Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

HumP is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to HumP
Have you considered new speakers and a 4 channel amplifer? A Factory radio pushes between 2-4 RMS watts of power per channel. Aftermarket radios are rated at 10-20 RMS watts. With a 4-channel amplifer you can maximize an aftermarket speakers potential. Some can push betwwen 75 - 100 watts RMS per channel. Plus you can still keep your 6 CD Changer. Just add a line output converter to your factory harness. It will make a a huge difference in the sound quality of your ride.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

YEAH i tough bout that i was tryin to avoid all the wire process ha but i may do that. i want to keep the factory one. only way id change the factory radio is to some dvd-gps blah blah but to much money, i was into all that not anymore
post #6 of 6 Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

HumP is more helpful than not
Send a message via Yahoo to HumP
Yeah installing a 4 channel into a factory deck can be time comsuming. However, it will be well worth the extra effort. If you do decide to do it yourself I can help you. I'm a car audio technician and I can walk you through it. If you don't mind spending a extra 30-40 bucks you can have it to where you can make it factory again without the hassle of undoing the wire modifications. It will be as if nothin was done to the factory system at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement