Subaru WRX Forum banner

PTP LavaBlanket

8K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 · (Edited)
2013 Subaru WRX Hatch, Satin Pearl White
Cobb Tuning SF Intake + SF Intake Box + PTP Turbo Blanket
Torqued Performance Stage 1 E-Tune
Whitelines Anti-Sway Bars, Kart boys Endlinks, Back to black bushings.
Roof Rack,Bike Rack, Cobb Knob, Gorilla Mud Flaps
91 Octane Shell fuel

Backstory:
Over the last 2 weeks I have been working with Eric at Torqued Performance and one of the parameters he requests that you log is intake temps. Living in SoCal we see daytime highs around 90 in March and evening lows around 40. The concerning part is that I was seeing intake temps between 130 - 160 degrees just putting around town. So I started looking into solutions.

Solution:
PTP LAVA Blanket, I choose this model because it looked the best, There were also a number of reviews online suggesting that there isn’t a fiberglass itch when installing ( Mostly true Ill explain more in the install column ). All of the turbo blankets made claims that you could put your hand on the head shield over the turbo after hard driving and That sounded great. I had some extra money at the end of last week and I pulled the trigger.

Install:

So I need to preface this with a confession. I watched install videos online and I did NOT remove my intercooler for this install, We are working on the kitchen at the moment and my workbench was a mess, I just didnt want to pile the intercooler on a knife block and other assorted kitchen supplies. So my install review is based on leaving the intercooler on for the length of the process. I also had a nice workout 20 miles from home before I started so I needed to cool the engine aby before starting. I used a box fan and a mister to rapid cool the system. Rapid cooling took about 30 minutes but it gave me time to get my head straight.

The most difficult part of the install was removing the stock heat shield. It would appear that over time the bolts have heat treated themselves and made themselves very rough. the threads were not smooth at all even after a good cleaning. The only tools I used were a 10mm Socket, hand ratchet and 10mm Closed end wrench. I counted 7 bolts to remove the stock shield ( the website said there were 8 ) and I lifted off the old unit exposing the turbo.

Sliding the turbo blanket on was pretty simple, I made a loop on one of the pegs and pulled it through, It was a pretty tight fit but I suppose that means more contact with the turbo so thats good news. This is where the itch started, Because the outer mesh of the blanket is sewn on with steel wire it is very sharp. I can’t even count the number of scrapes on my palms and fingers from feeding the blanket into position. There may be no fiberglass itch but there is definitely an itch while the scratches heal. Installing the tubro shield back onto the brackets after the blanket was easy enough. One of the screws refused to thread back into place because the blanket was in the way but the shield is held very snug in place with no rattle.

Difficulty of install 4/10 : Most regular tinkerers with a standard tool set can handle this job themselves. It takes patience and lots of light. Im sure it would be easier to pull your intercooler but for my purposes it went well enough.

Results:

I let the car get up to running temperature and took a few spirited runs around the local back roads. I opened the hood, half scared of what would happen I licked my finger tips and tapped the heat shield… Nothing, not even a hiss. With more confidence I put my hand on top of the shield and it was cool to the touch. I also touch tested the Cobb SF intake Box and it was also cool to the touch. In my previous experience after spirited runs the intake box would be hot enough to steam water. I am exceptionally pleased with the performance. Reading intake temps during WOT logs shows similar temperatures but logging time spent driving around town shows a marked improvement. During morning traffic intake temperatures were down almost 60 degrees with similar outside temps and traffic.

/ Edit Added /TLDR : PTP Blanket goes on easily and lowers under hood temperatures by containing turbo heat in the turbo and exhaust path. there will be minimal difference when the vehicle is moving at speed but during stop and go traffic intake temps with the PTP blanket show approximately a 50 degree difference.

See less See more
#3 ·
At speed the intake temps were similar but from idle the entire under hood temp range was lower by a considerable margin. Sitting in LA traffic is where I will see the most benefit, starting and stopping would get intake temps up near 170F, With the blanket the morning commute didn't see temps over 102F.

Definitely worth the hour and then some of work. I also added a TLDR on the bottom, I must have spaced while I was writing it up this morning

#4 ·
Great write up! Ive been considering a turbo blanket for a while just to lower intake temps, or at least keep them consistent I just picked up a used SPT Exhaust so my car funds are depleted for the moment but this is moving higher on the list!

#5 ·
After I recently installed a COBB TBE I've also been looking for something to help reduce my under the hood temps. I didn't feel like cutting my stock heat shield up at the time so I opted for the COBB turbo shield for the moment. I've looked at turbo blankets and I'm glad to hear a positive testimonial. I've also looked at DP blankets and heat wraps for the DP, but I'm not too sure how effective those might be. Maybe someone with experience in those items could hopefully chime in. I like the idea of getting a turbo blanket under my shield, but I've also heard they can shorten the life of your turbo by keeping in too much heat. Bearings issues and all that stuff. I could be completely wrong about that though. Just looking for some additional info on a similar issue.

#6 ·
I've also heard they can shorten the life of your turbo by keeping in too much heat. Bearings issues and all that stuff. I could be completely wrong about that though. Just looking for some additional info on a similar issue.
Ive done some research myself and have found that it only seems to kill turbos if you dont let them cool a little before turning the car off. ie letting it idle for a few after a particularly hard hoon. You can install a turbo timer if you are really worried, or just remember to drive easy before turning the car off.

But im sure/I hope someone with firsthand knowledge can be a little more specific.

#8 ·
Im very pleased with the performance, driving around on the highway intake temps have been notably down through a range of SoCal spring weather ( rain to 90 degree heat and foggy again in one day )

- To address the possibility of damaging the turbo I follow the same rules I have followed for years. Run the car until it is adequately warmed up ( 165 degrees coolant on the AP V3 ), drive it like I a grandma until there is a windy, curvy stretch of road to enjoy and let it cool back down on the drive home. It doesn't hurt that I live in a suburban community and I tend to drive around the neighborhood doing 10mph because there are always kids in the street. By the time I get home the engine has had some time to cool down and the oil has been sufficiently passed through the hot turbo. There is a secondary process known as the heat siphoning effect that helps cool the turbo. Essentially the turbos water inlet is on the bottom and the outlet is on the top so any additional heat will warm the coolant to a boil, which in turn will pressurize the coolant path to push more coolant in to the turbo and effectively drive a cycle of coolant across the turbo to cool it even after the engine is shut off.

- As for other down pipe thermal management options I read some great things about the perrin DP blankets. I think the benifit of a blanket over thermal wrap is that they dont need to be in such close proximity to your down pipe so they shouldn't have the same risks of oil or other contaminants causing down pipe malfunction. When I get around to installing a high flow catted down pipe I will be modding my stock heat shield and installing a perrin DP blanket to keep temps down.

#10 ·
Just installed the Perrin DP thermal blanket and the PTP lava turbo blanket and are extremely satisfied with both products! Got a few more days I imagine before the "curing" smell goes away. Noticeable differences in intake temps at stops lights/stop and go traffic. I know it would be even better with a CAI as opossed to my COBB SF with air box, but it's much less an issue now. Just got a custom road tune with Cam from Camtuning on my accessport today...things are good.

Attachments

#16 ·
this is what i have on order: http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Tec-15003-Turbo-Insulator/dp/B002TR9HQA (not from amazon but a local shop)
How to wrap your turbo - NASIOC

more than i'll need for a td04.
about the 3rd of the cost and just as effective. turbo blankets can last almost forever but arent meant to be removed over and over. they get brittle from the heat cycles while they still retain thier effectiveness.

i would like to know more about that Perrin DP Blanket though.... how is it VS DEI Titanium Wrap.

#17 ·
I spent a few minutes last night reinstalling my PTP lava blanket after a fresh oil change.

With the new thermal management foil on the intake box I am seeing intake temps 80-90 degrees below my coolant temps and only 20 degrees over ambient. I will be continuing to tinker with cooling and heat management and eventually I will be wrapping both my intake snorkel and my turbo inlet.

In the quest to keep the intake at comfortable temperatures I realize that I am holding more heat in the engine and engine oil. I do have plans to install an Engine oil cooler and a killer B oil pickup with my 60k service.

My end goal is to isolate the heat enough that when I do get around to replacing the Intercooler that it will be in a cool engine bay environment where it can be the most efficient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.