1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vew

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-25-2013, 12:41 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
PSA: Caution on polyurethane exhaust hangers

3 of 4 of my exhaust hangers broke about the same time. All 3 that broke were poly hangers. The 4th that did not break was an OEM one since the poly one's are difficult to stretch and finally gave up trying - thankfully since it's basically the only thing holding up the exhaust. These were installed about 7.5 years/85kmiles ago when I did my TBE install. Brand is Kartboy.

I live on a road with speed bumps, so I'm assuming that's when they broke was driving home. I don't really see much of a reason to use poly hangers unless you have a problem with the exhaust moving too much. This is back when I was much younger and dumber, assuming if there's an aftermarket part, it must be better. Considering I live in the salt belt, 80k is fairly impressive, though I predict the OEM ones will out last them far greater. Going back to rubber will probably reduce my NVH as well.

If you have them installed, I recommend checking them every oil change for deterioration. A quick search on "kartboy exhaust hanger failure" yields some results but doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. Consider going back to OEM before a failure occurs. Talked to a mechanical engineer at work and thinks poly hangers are just stupid.

Name:  20130622_092823.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  44.5 KB

Name:  20130622_092843.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  23.8 KB

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-25-2013, 02:34 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Sexy RE-01R's. I'll be sad when mine die.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 06-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Vew

Got these used with 85% tread for $300 last season! Good eye.
Brockton likes this.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#4 Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Mine are longer than stock Kartboy. Haven't had any issues with them, but I will out and check them now.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#5 Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM
Vew

Let me address some of the questions Kartboy brought up in the thread.
Cobb vs kartboy exhaust hangers - NASIOC

Quote:
Were finding out if you use a petrolium based lube to install them. they can fail over time.
We like to use windex/ 409 or soapy water.

T
I used no lube to install them since I did not need it as it was a new exhaust.

Quote:
Are you guys with failures running flex pipes anywhere in the system? Or is it a solid pipe all the way back?

Tom
I have an original Perrin TBE (pre EPA issues), so yes, I am running a flex pipe. I've also never bottomed out my exhaust. It's been about a year since I've checked under it so I can't say for certain, but I'm pretty confident. Typically my lip is the lowest point, and I don't high centered ever. The car is only mildly dropped.

--------------------------------------------------------

Under the same thread, it seems Cobb (made of the same material) also has risk of the same failure.

This guy was also saved by an OEM hanger in the middle.

NASIOC - View Single Post - Cobb vs kartboy exhaust hangers

I'll get more detailed photos once I get the car in the air. It's balls sweating hot outside so it might be a few days. I don't plan on contacting Kartboy about this because I do not want replacements. I plan on going back to OEM mounts, although I think I lost one, so I'll have to order at least one replacement.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#6 Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
You get any snow where you are/have lived? How the hell does Mosc see that stuff?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah we get snow where we live. Vew is only about an hour away from me. Crappy road salts with destroy anything I don't care how indestructible something is that stuff will break it.
On a side note my exhaust hangers are fine, roughly 6-7 years on them as well....

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#8 Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
You get any snow where you are/have lived? How the hell does Mosc see that stuff?
Yes, but I garage the WRX in the winter. Prior to getting the Outback as a DD, I had a set of rims dedicated to winter tires.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#9 Old 06-25-2013, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vew View Post
Yes, but I garage the WRX in the winter. Prior to getting the Outback as a DD, I had a set of rims dedicated to winter tires.
Odd I drive mine even in winter...Wonder if it was just a certain batch of these that go bad, manufacturing defect or something of that nature.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#10 Old 06-26-2013, 06:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Is Tom sending you new ones?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#11 Old 06-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Vew

Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Odd I drive mine even in winter...Wonder if it was just a certain batch of these that go bad, manufacturing defect or something of that nature.
I drove my car every day from the day I bought it to 2010. Polyurethane has good resistance to corrosion and salts. It shouldn't have much to do with it. I wish I could find the datasheet of the exact material they use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
Is Tom sending you new ones?
No, as I said, I didn't contact them. No point if I'm switching back to OEM as I see no need for using polyurethane. I might if I begin to have problems with the exhaust hitting the chassis on OEM hangers but I don't expect to.

Jon
RIP Colin McRae
#12 Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Very interesting... thanks for posting!

John
07 WRX
#13 Old 06-26-2013, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
The shop here in Korea where I had a new exhaust system installed in my Tiburon tightened a zip tie around the center of the each new OEM rubber hanger. I don't know if this is a common thing to do in the States, but I had never seen it done before and it seemed to be an interesting way to take the "play" out of the rubber hangers while retaining their pliability. Just a thought...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#14 Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Vew

By the time I got to the OEM hanger, it was stretched out maybe 6 inches holding up the entire exhaust. May have to replace that later on, including 1 poly hanger since I couldn't find all 3 OEM hangers.

Anyway, here's what I pulled off the car. I'm unsure where the top half of the one went.

Name:  20130627_080612.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  36.1 KB

Jon
RIP Colin McRae