Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   prosport boost gauge wiring (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/prosport-boost-gauge-wiring-17284/)

eggeegg 03-21-2007 01:27 PM

prosport boost gauge wiring

i just wanted some suggestions on how to wire my prosport boost (green/white) gauge. i've looked at a couple how-to's but was wondering how different people wired their prosport gauges. basically, i only want my gauge to be only be on when the engine is on, not just when the key is on ACC. i want the gauge to be "white" during day and "green" during night. this is what i found a nasioc and this seems to be the setup for me.

From the radio harness:
Red - Green w/Orange stripe
White - Blue w/Red stripe
Green - Goes to white wire on sender
Black - Ground
Orange - Violet

With this setup, will the gauge only come on when the engine is on? Is there anywhere else i could get to the wires without removing the radio? For example, can i have a similar setup tapping off the clock harness?

03'WRXDriva 03-21-2007 05:32 PM

i used the power off the clock wires they have all u will need their. no need to pull anything out of the dash. i also used the factory boost gauge hose too.

break out the multimeter test the wires and wire um up man.

wrx3r 03-21-2007 05:35 PM

my guage is on as soon as i turn the key one click... the needle reads vaccum 30 psi cause the engine is not on....so i guess basically it just lights up until the engine turns on

eggeegg 03-21-2007 07:07 PM

[QUOTE=03'WRXDriva;143280]i used the power off the clock wires they have all u will need their. no need to pull anything out of the dash. i also used the factory boost gauge hose too.

break out the multimeter test the wires and wire um up man.[/QUOTE]

sounds good. i did more research and this seems to be the setup i want but through the clock:

White + Red = ACC (black/yellow)
Orange = ILL (white/red)
Black = GND (black)

i guess i can go check if the clock comes on only when the engine is on.

WRXKidid775 03-21-2007 10:56 PM

the clock is on when you click the key to acsessory or whatever it is.

kh15 03-21-2007 11:22 PM

what if i have multipull gauges can i tap off the same main wire ie if i use 12v power from the clock can i tap that SAME wire 3 times to run all my gauges or will that pull to much power?

WRXKidid775 03-21-2007 11:44 PM

id say that might pull too much power. the cigarette lighter is a good place to get power from becasue you can tap all 3 there and not pull too much since its meant for charging things that pull a lot more current than 3 guages.

03'WRXDriva 03-22-2007 07:36 AM

i have all elecrtonic gauges and yeah i used all three gauges to the clock power. the wires from these gauges is like 28 guage. so im guessing it pulls next ot nothing for power. the clock gauge is more than enuf to run them ok. i have had it done for a month or so with no issues.

eggeegg 03-22-2007 02:29 PM

installed the gauges. needle a tiny bit below 0 when key is on ACC, engine off. the first time i tested it with the engine on, i saw it was at -20 (that's how i read it not knowing it was actually 20 vacuum). i undid all my wiring to double check connections. everything was good and so i did some research online and saw this was normal. made me so mad. but i like the gauge. mine is quite accurate when comparing to Enginuity data logging on my laptop.

lateralis 03-22-2007 03:15 PM

Hey I was looking into getting a set of defi gauges with the clock pod, but my wrx didnt come with the factory boost gauge. So im wondering where are you guys running the lines for the gauges? And if it makes any difference I'll be getting a Boost gauge (duh), Oil temp, and a Voltmeter since I have a pretty decent power draw from my stereo, and no actual indication of voltage.

eggeegg 03-23-2007 02:34 AM

i ran the lines to the clock harness and tapped power from there. to me, it was easier to uninstall the clock than the radio. my gauge sensor is right outside the firewall and the wires go from there through the grommet (behind the intercooler) into the car.

eggeegg 03-23-2007 06:28 PM

my gauge can switch between white and green while the engine is on only if i started the engine with the headlights in the off position. if i start the engine with the headlights in the on position, i can't turn the gauge white by turning the headlights off. it's just always green. is this normal?

03'WRXDriva 03-23-2007 08:49 PM

yeah because of the tinted face they are always lit. if i got sunglasses on its hard to see the gauges in the day time. thats the only downfall of the tinted face.

and how do u make them white?

i opted for the blue lighted ones and the are either really bright with lights off and dim at night, which i can see them perfect anyhow.

lateralis 03-23-2007 08:52 PM

[QUOTE=eggeegg;143760]my gauge can switch between white and green while the engine is on only if i started the engine with the headlights in the off position. if i start the engine with the headlights in the on position, i can't turn the gauge white by turning the headlights off. it's just always green. is this normal?[/QUOTE]

Pics?

eggeegg 03-24-2007 01:22 AM

pics of the gauge? it's basically what i described. first here's my connection tapping into the clock:

White + Red = ACC
Orange = ILL
Black = GND

Scenario 1: engine is off. headlights are on OFF position. start the car. the gauge displays white. turn the headlights ON while the engine is on. gauge displays green. turn headlights off and they turn white again. this is how it's supposed to work. However...

Scenario 2: engine is off. headlights are on ON position. start the car. the gauge displays green. turn the headlights OFF while the engine is on. gauge remains green. turn headlights on, still green.