PIAA vs HID kit - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
PIAA vs HID kit

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything recent, so I'll ask...is anyone running PIAA Intense or extreme bulbs? Do they actually have twice the output of the mere mortal 55 watt bulbs? They're pretty pricey and really not a lot less expensive than the HID conversion kits.

The people on the board with the SharpHID kits seem to be pretty pleased with them in general, but I've seen a lot of compelling arguments on NASIOC about why they're a bad idea with halogen reflectors. I had bixenons on my Box and they were the cat's ass. I'd love to put a kit on my Rex but I don't want to be socially irresponsible and blind oncoming drivers...

Could I do HID low beams and PIAA high beams?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2009, 02:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter View Post
Could I do HID low beams and PIAA high beams?
Yep. I have SharpHID's 35W 5000K low beam kit and Sylvania Silverstar high beam bulbs and I'm pretty pleased with that setup. I have plenty of intense, usable bright white light and I like how the car looks with the lights on too. If you're worried about blinding other people, you can always adjust the light beam cutoff down a little bit by twisting the adjustment bolts behind the headlight assemblies, but then you're sacrificing your own precious light. I actually bumped mine up a little bit so my light beam stretches straight out on a level road instead of cutting off 50 feet (+/-) in front of the car like it used to. I've only been flashed a couple of times, but come on... it's an intense white light. Of course it's going to be bright if you're looking directly at it. I haven't caused any accidents, so as far as I'm concerned, they're just fine.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 11-09-2009, 03:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghostlight is an unknown
the stock headlight setting suck. plain and simple. i can't see hardly anything with my low beams. i need to raise them badly.

storytime: i had a 2000 impreza, put some silver stars in them and constantly got flshed for low beams/fog lights on. one guy in a nice big caddy came within a foot of side swiping me just so he could flash his lights and not drop his coffee

i said nothing nice about him the entire way home.
#4 Old 11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Agreed. I bumped my low beams up a little bit before I even got my HID kit. I thought the cut off was set way too low from the factory. I drive on back roads pretty often and I'd like to maximize my chances of seeing critters standing on the road or next to it so I can avoid smashing them to smithereens - not because I care about them, but because I care about my car

Raising them is pretty easy.. just twist the little bolt behind each light housing. A ratcheting (10 mm I think) wrench works extremely well.

John
#5 Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

ghostlight is an unknown
i just set mine up. set screws are in nice places too. nice and hard to get to.
before now, when i would pass someone i could not see. at all. and if a big rig passed i was literally guessing at the road. but it works out much better now. and no one has flashed me. so maybe i have them set low enough not to harm people.

have either of you guys tried the piaa intense or Xtreme bulbs? i'd like the xtreme ones but i don't want them to be too blue, ya know?
#6 Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Usually when you get regular Halogen bulbs that are "blue," the glass is just tinted and the amount of light they put out is actually less than stock/clear Halogen bulbs. In the case of Sylvania Silverstar Halogens, the glass is slightly tinted blue, but the light output is actually a little higher than stock, so they appear brighter, but the down side is that they don't last as long. If you want really intense white/blue light, I'd suggest a 4,300-6,000K hid kit.

But to answer your question, nope, I don't have any experience with any of those bulbs. Would you be getting them for your low beams, high beams, or fog lights?

John
#7 Old 11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghostlight is an unknown
high and low beams. i would love to get an hid kit for my low beams, but they're so expensive.

i might just save up and get a set later on. any suggestions as to what is the best? i've seen a lot of crap on the internet/ebay.
#8 Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

I've had good luck with my SharpHID kit. The low beam kit is now selling for $80.00 and add a few bucks more for a battery harness (which I'd recommend) and you'll be good to go: SharpHID.com - Automotive HID Xenon Conversion Lighting Products

I believe all the SharpHID kits come with a lifetime warranty now too. I'd also be willing to bet that they're going to be running some holiday specials pretty soon, so if you can wait a little while longer and keep your eyes peeled, you might be able to find a pretty good deal. I'd recommend a 35w 5000k kit because that's what I have and I think it's the perfect balance between white/blue with significantly more intense usable light than stock halogen bulbs. If you want a little more blue, get 6000k and if you want an almost stock look, 4300k will work too.

John
#9 Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

ghostlight is an unknown
looks cool. i might just have to get some of those
#10 Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

dmcutter is an unknown
Look at Daniel Stern's site for a wealth of good info on bulbs. The PIAA and Extreme White are marketing hype, pure BS. I just put in new bulbs this past weekend-65 W H7s in the lows and 9011 (HIR-1) high beams from Candlepower.com. Thhe lows seem to be brighter than stock but hard to quantify. The high beams are significantly brighter than the stock 9005s. I'm going to do a grounding kit very shortly which might even improve the output a little more. Tell you what, though, having to remove the f'ing battery to get to the driver side low beam is a major pain in the arse...with my Rodeo it takes all of about 2 minutes to swap bulbs in the Walmart parking lot.