perrin stiffies what are they for and do they look cool? - Subaru WRX Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arcticscythe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

385STI06 is an unknown
perrin stiffies what are they for and do they look cool?

I have a 2006 sti and iv seen people have the stiffies iv heard they where for performance others say their wing wobbled so they needed it well thats why im asking i think they look cool and i cant seem to find a how to install video any tips or write up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you like the look then go for it. the OEM wing doesnt provide a huge amount of down force to begin with (50-100lbs at speed) so as long as your not covering the slot with a sail you shouldn't see any performance swing in either direction.

The theory behind the stiffies is that when you are driving at speed your spoiler will be providing down force that may be greater than the material rigidity of the fiberglass/poly/plastic of the OEM wing. If you were to put 100lbs of sandbags across the top of the spoiler it would flex a bit. the stiffies would stop that flex. The design of the OEM wing allows for a large expanse of open space to allow for a smooth aerodynamic performance but on some vehicles the down-force can cause unwanted and even visible in the rear view mirror flex.

When people talk about wing wobble that is typically a function of worn or damaged mounting hardware. Adding braces to your wing wont correct for damaged mounts. If your wing is not attached correctly i would look into the mounting hardware.

I say go for it, Kinda like decals its what makes your car unique, If you like them then they are well worth the 40-50 dollars : )
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 06-03-2014, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
The STi spoiler flexes in the top center at speed like the highway, you can't really see it yourself while driving but my friends have said they notice it driving behind me, it doesn't have to do with damage mounts. What mount? It bolts directly into the trunk Lol. With a ton of studs and nuts, I don't see how that can make the wing have flex...

And the stiffis would stop it from "bouncing" or flexing, because the flexing would cause inconsistencies in airflow at higher speeds. At least that's my theory on them. As for whether they look cool is up to your preference.. I'd bet 90% of the buyers get them for looks anyways.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#4 Old 06-04-2014, 03:21 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
The 04-14 STi wing is purely cosmetic. It provides downforce only at high speeds but also adds drag enough to counteract the added downforce anyway. At freeway speeds (50-100mph), it's just a gas mileage sucking eyesore.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD