Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Permenantly turn of the auto-dimming rear view mirror? (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/permenantly-turn-auto-dimming-rear-view-mirror-27816/)

gdemander 12-18-2009 03:57 PM

Permenantly turn of the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

How do I permanently turn of the auto-dimming rear view mirror? I personally really dislike the auto-dimming function and clicking the button every single time I start the car is kind of annoying. Aside from disconnecting the cable from the back of the mirror, is there anyway to permanently disable this? Thanks.

ratfink 12-18-2009 04:14 PM

Trade mirrors with me....totally serious here.

gdemander 12-18-2009 06:23 PM

[quote=ratfink;237202]Trade mirrors with me....totally serious here.[/quote]

See...yeah...I like that idea...except they charged me diddy money for it, so I feel like I should keep it. I just don't want it on...

It was my only option to get the car in black...

ratfink 12-18-2009 06:26 PM

Ok then, I'll tell how. LOL

Believe it or not a little piece of electrical tape over the sensor ought to fix it for ya. Cut it to fit, and you won't even know it's there.

VisiX 12-18-2009 08:12 PM

[quote=ratfink;237212]Ok then, I'll tell how. LOL

Believe it or not a little piece of electrical tape over the sensor ought to fix it for ya. Cut it to fit, and you won't even know it's there.[/quote]

Wouldn't blocking the sensor cause the mirror to be dim at all times? It seems like it would detect the light level and dim the mirror if it's below a certain point.

ratfink 12-18-2009 09:36 PM

Nah, the front sensor senses light daylight levels, the one facing rearward looks for light from headlights when the front one show darkness. It should work fine. I've never tested it since I like autodimming, but the principal is sound.

midniteblack 12-19-2009 04:03 AM

I love my auto dimming mirror. I feel like i'm going blind when i drive in my other car and someone is behind me. Ratfink sounds right, as long as the mirror doesn't detect any light behind it at night it shouldn't go dim.

gdemander 12-22-2009 11:19 AM

I will try the electrical tape. Depending on how 'good' I can make that look, I may just opt for turning it off every time. Thanks for the input.

ratfink 12-22-2009 05:42 PM

Just cover the sensor facing backward and it should be fine. If you cut it to fit you will probably not even be able to tell it's there.

airplnmdls 12-23-2009 04:45 PM

Yeah taping it will def. work...go for it!

allvolwrx 12-24-2009 11:05 AM

I dont know if my dark tinted windows has anything to do with it but, I cant ever tell the difference if it is on or off.

ratfink 12-24-2009 12:27 PM

I'll trade you too, LOL

midniteblack 12-27-2009 02:54 AM

[quote=allvolwrx;237523]I dont know if my dark tinted windows has anything to do with it but, I cant ever tell the difference if it is on or off.[/quote]
Maybe your rear window is too dark for the mirror to start working? My tint is 35% and i can tell when mine kicks in because everything in the mirror turns a greenish color.