Subaru WRX Forum banner

Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus

34K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
//Disclaimer// I am not trying to start an oil flame war, Oil fires are very hard to put out so lets not get started there //Disclaimer//

So im done with SOA free oil changes and maintenance and I am going to do my own oil and tire rotation this weekend. I am perfectly aware that there are "better" oils out there than 5w30 but it is very clear in my owners manual that only 5w30 is acceptable. So Ive done my research and as far as 5w30 oils it looked like i was going to be ordering redline 5w30 on amazon until I caught an ad on TV for Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus. Apparently its an GTL base stock which by itself would make for a pretty nice oil and the detergent package looks promising as well. Im going to be using it with a blue Subaru filter and keep to my 3750 intervals.

I know its a new product but I was wondering if anyone has given it a shot, maybe a UOA? My local walmart has them for $25 a gallon and if its almost as good as redline then at less than half the cost I'm glad to swap oil more often.

Again not looking for a "this oil is better than that oil" thread. just curious if anyone has tried the pure plus line and what peoples thoughs are.

thanks guys

See less See more
#5 ·
Ok so dumped my old Subi lube last night and filled with Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus 5w30 as per OEM instructions with a Subaru blue filter and a new Fumoto valve.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
Feels different than my other synthetics, especially different than the royal purple i use on the Fiances toyota.
Cold starts are a hair faster than normal, 1 turn instead of 3
Coolant temps seem to be lower across the same stretch of road with similar conditions.(187 down from 203)
Fuel economy is down from 22.5 to 22.1 on my favorite canyon road.

Conclusion, It seems to be fine, I like how fast the cold crank was and i will be monitoring it regularly. I just realized cobb released a new map so Ill be giving that a shot as i run a few logs this week.

#7 ·
They use a 2 stage locking mechanism, there is s spring that holds the lever in the locked position then you need to lift the lever against the spring tension and rotate it.

When i installed it i also made sure the lever was facing up so the only way it could be accidentally triggered is if something reached around the valve itself.

If it really bothers you they also have locking clamps you can attach for like 8 bucks

#8 ·
// Quick update//
Stopped for a few gallons this morning and checked the levels, It been a long week of driving, with about 500 miles, 3 spirited canyon runs and lots of highway miles in traffic. Fuel economy has returned to 22.2 on my favorite canyon drive. I am always worried about consumption with new oil bases but in this case consumption seems non-existent. Valve train noise seems quieter than with the subaru oil and not that I intentionally smell my dipstick (no pun intended but the human nose is one of our most sensitive senses) it doesn't smell like solvents or oil degradation at all. In fact its just about as clean as it was the day it went in.

I am very excited to do my UOA.

I will post the results when I do my next change. For now though i plan on using Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus for the foreseeable future

#9 ·
Any fresh oil will produce your results. I don't think they are exclusive to that particular oil. I tend to stay away from Pennzoil and Quaker State due to their high paraffin content. However, this stuff is supposed to be "NEW" so maybe it comes from a different type of stock

Every time I talk about oil I have to point out this link. http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/synthetic-oil-merged-15606/index2.html

#10 ·
I used to stay away from Pennzoil but everything I read about their new "Pure Plus" sounded pretty good, Its apparently a new GTL group5 base stock, detergent package looks pretty nice as well. I was planning on going the T6 route but I got cold feet (while the warranty is still intact) so it had to be a 5w30.

I was a royal purple fan for many years but I understand that their 5w30 doesnt hold up so well in the turbo is I crossed them off the list.

As far as the real differences between the Subaru OEM lube and the new stuffI was pretty pleased to have the valve train noise down a bit and it definitely smells different than most of the other synthetics I've used.

So far Im pleased but I wont know for sure until I have it analyzed in 3,000 miles.

#11 ·
OK, the BlackStone Labs report is in.

Long story short, I will be using Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus technology for the foreseeable future. all the metals are below average and the lab tech recommended that I run my next sample for 5k miles. I was very pleased to know that the stage 1 cobb OTS tune wasnt putting any undue stress on the engine. I'm going to stick with 3,500 intervals just to be safe and enjoy the ride.

#18 ·
Chad from CBRD has ingrained on me that stock-internal USDM EJ motors need to run 10W40 synthetic to protect their pistons.

Amsol 10W40 premium protection is not that different in cost than other stuff being thrown around and is considerably thicker.

#19 ·
I like the idea of using a heavier weight oil but Im still under the SOA Warranty. I have until 70k miles to use a OEM oil then I plan on switching to Rotella T6 which I think is a 5W40. Amsoil 10W40 with wholesale discount should be pretty similar in price to the Pure Plus. @mosc Do you know if its a Base 5 stock? Im definitely pleased with the way things are currently preforming and I love that the Pure Plus stuff doesn't smell like used oil coning out of the engine.

#20 ·
Update,

I said it on my last post that I wanted to stay under SOA warranty, and it paid off. I blew up a rod bearing end of last month and Subaru just finished rebuilding the engine at no cost to me. My Tuner is recommending T6 so thats what I will be using after my break in change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.