Subaru WRX Forum banner

painting brakes

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  wrecker83 
#1 ·
I dont have the money for a new brake kit yet but in the mean time i was thinking of buying one of those brake paint kits and painting my brakes. Does anyone have any comments or experience in this?

#3 ·
Mine's chipped pretty badly after winter. The one from Advance Auto isn't great quality, but it does come with everything needed. I plan on getting Subaru 4 pots eventually and I'm going to paint them before I put them on since I'll be able to bake them in an oven.

#6 ·
Ricer?!?!?!?!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ian said:
Hmmmmmmm, a lot of high end cars have painted calipers. I don't see that as ricer.

As long as you follow directions from others about masking off and make the caliper look factory painted.

I used engine paint the first time and it lasted for over two years. It was a ##### tho, cause I used yellow (on a black car) and that doesn't cover very well. I recoated them with a quality oil base paint from your local hardware store. I talked to a bodyshop and the guy told me it would work and it did.

Use brake cleaner to clean the caliper, carb cleaner has some type of oil in it.

If you can remove them - have them powder coated this will look great and last, last, last.

I agree it will look ricer if you don't take the time and paint it carefully.

#8 ·
Sorry if I affended any body I was just joking. Yes the high end brakes come painted and it looks good, it's just that around here there is alot of kids that paint there brakes to match there blue moldings on there white car or the McDonald's look red and yellow ect. It's these kind of people that make me a little bitter about certain mods, like the big carbon fiber spoliers when tuned and used right can be functional but if you put a park bench on a 95 cavalier thats a big NO!

So once again sorry, If you do it right it will look good, but do you see where I'm coming from?

#12 ·
Ian.....

I COULD not agree more. Some of the crap I see. A guy the other day wants me to make him a cold air intake for a - ready for this - 95 Olds Cutlass Cierra Supreme.

Talk about ricer!!!!!!!!

I re-read the postings and yea I get your joke, by the by, I wasn't meaning anything nasty about you either.

#14 ·
Ian said:
like the big carbon fiber spoliers when tuned and used right can be functional but if you put a park bench on a 95 cavalier thats a big NO!
1988 honda accord SEDAN. With 3 different color doors... had one of the nicest spoilers I have ever seen. I figure the car was worth $300 and the spoiler $3000. Then again maybe I'm wrong and the door shades and rust on the fenders are exterior mods.

#15 ·
#16 ·
wrecker83 said:
lol....yea the only other thing more ricer than that is that fake "woooooosh" sound from the "fake" BOV's that you can buy. a guy i used to work with said (when i had a civic) that i should put that in there, to make everyone "think" i actually had a turbo.......total ricer.....oh and i never did get it, i promise.... !Laugh!
You mean this? !Laugh!

http://sunamiturbo.com/sunamiturbo.html

And while I'm at it, you'll all love this...

http://www.extremedimensions.com/3878.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.