Painted my stock rims today..pics.. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-27-2004, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

TexasRex02 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to TexasRex02
Talking Painted my stock rims today..pics..

Just decided to save a couple hundred bucks and go with the DIY style. Let me know what you guys think
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-27-2004, 11:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Solice Send a message via Yahoo to Solice
Looks good man, did you clear coat them after painting? I was thinking about painting my factory's but then got to thinking about stone chips and wear and tear from weather. The "Silver Lip" makes it look good too. I have a friend that does powder coating and said he could do my wheels if I buy the powder (or whatever the stuff is that he bakes on). How much different is powder coating from painting?

Solice
#3 Old 07-28-2004, 12:41 AM
WRXtuners Member

TexasRex02 is an unknown
Thanks alot yeah i was going to get mine powder coated but i just never got around to it. So what i ended up doing was i used to coats of regular black, and one of a charcoal (gunpowder type) finish, then a clear coat over top. The only difference i know of with powder coating is they use heat so the paint will stick/last longer/look a little better. If he'll give it to you for that kind of deal i'd say go for it
#4 Old 07-28-2004, 03:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Nice! 2 coats and a clearcoat should protect them pretty good I would think. I like how you left the middle part silver too. Did you have to use a special kind of paint or sand the surface at all? I'm thinking I might just paint mine, if it's not a complete PITA. I know my buddy could powder coat them but who knows when he would do it. Also did you paint your brake calipers or are they just really clean? Thanks man, looks good!
#5 Old 07-28-2004, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

TexasRex02 is an unknown
nope not reallly a special paint, just some black surface paint, and then the gunpowder body finish, both from autozone for 10 dollars. Yeah painting them really isn't that bad especially when it looks good and you did it yourself. It only took me and my buddy about 3 hours, but redid the first rim about 3 times lol. And nope no sanding, just some soap and water and scrubbed em clean. oh and the calipers i painted white aswell(very easy). I can post some pic. directions if you like to see exactly how
#6 Old 07-28-2004, 11:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Yeah man, if you could that would rock! You can pm me too if you don't want to put it on the boards. I don't do a whole lot myself for fear of really screwing something up. It doesn't sound too hard though. I'd really like to paint my caliper's. Some people don't like that but I think it looks good. I think as long as it's not too bold then it looks good, factory caliper's painted bright yellow or something like that would look a little ricey. Thanks man!
#7 Old 08-06-2004, 06:48 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Bump on more pics and directions.
#8 Old 08-08-2004, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
were your rims alloys or the chrome option? i cant tell by the center piece...
#9 Old 08-31-2004, 05:38 PM

wrecker83 is an unknown
Exclamation

hey man, i would really like it if you could post some instructions on how you did it. i mean i have a good idea, but id like to know the details and what not. like sand paper grit, and type of paint...etc. i really like the lip you left on it, very cool.