Paint it yourself? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
okay thanks i'll have to see what i can find.
ps jdo those side skirts look good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 11-01-2009, 02:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
Thanks. I bought my paint off of paintscratch.com. The color match is dead on imo and its not too expensive. I believe it was $24 per can or something like that. I had enough with two cans for both sideskirts fyi.
#18 Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
ugh lame they won't let me buy the spraycans because i live in canada! fml... lol
#19 Old 11-01-2009, 02:49 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Dang, thats lame. Sorry to hear that.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#20 Old 11-08-2009, 08:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
i finished paintint the headlights and grill and rims.

i'm sure someone will say "oh god you bought the cheap ebay lights!!!"
but i think they look sweet. way better than stock. and they fit nicely. the only problem was their harness was wired wrong when i first plugged them in both lights were on at the same time for driving/brights. i just had to switch them to get the projectors for drivers and the outside lights for brights.
as for the paint it is a little darker than my car. but being 7 yrs old i guess i have to expect that. the clear coat was a PITA like alot of you said, it wouldn't look good unless i put it on fairly thick. and then i made it run in a few spots.
the side skirts are painted right now as well, i just broke most of the pop rivets taking them off they were being little bitches haha. the hood scoop is at the post office as well i am going to get it and maybe paint it tomorrow. total for painting the rims and grill headlight was about 180 cdn as i had to buy plastic cleaner, adhesive, primer, sandpaper paint and clear coat. i ran out of paint/clear on the parts i painted so i am going to have to pick up 1 more of each tomorrow. so add 50 onto that for total of about 230. plus 100 for the scoop and 200 for the headlights. not too bad for a pretty big improvement imo
#21 Old 11-08-2009, 09:29 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
To me it looks good. Plus you took the gamble in buying the parts and doing it yourself. Congrats to you. If you are happy with it overall, thats what matters. Job well done.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#22 Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah after i get the hood scoop and side skirt on i'll tsake some pics with a real camera not my iphone, and maybe wash the car too haha
#23 Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Im sure it will all come together. I have been wanting to black out my headlights since i got my car (3 years agao) and havent done it yet. Kudos to you guys that are doing things like you. Good luck with the rest of it.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#24 Old 11-09-2009, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
yeah i had my old ones blacked out. be careful when you put them in the oven one of mine shifted and touched the top iron in the top of the oven and melted a bunch of the bottom of it. they turned out good other than that though.
#25 Old 11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Good work I love the blue and the gold....and haha playing cards huh? Whatever works!
#26 Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM

I was just looking at rims yesterday and might be getting some Enkei RPF-1s, but its hard finding them in black so I might be painting them if/when I get them. But hopefully before they are mounted on the car. And thanks for the heads up about the headlights also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#27 Old 11-09-2009, 12:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown
Yeah I saw the playing cards trick on a forum it worked perfect no paint on the tires at all. I just pickednup the sti scoop I'll be painting it tomorrow
#28 Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

Boober909 is an unknown

here are two pics of the scoop painted. it looks awesome from the side. i dunno about how it looks from the front yet i'll have to see it in the daylight.

the side skirts are back on i didn't take a pic of them though. after you other guys painted them did you put the black plastic trim back on or leave it off? i left mine off..
#29 Old 11-12-2009, 07:45 PM

From those pics looks great. If you are happy with it, thats truely all that matters, as you are the one that has to see the car on a daily basis.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#30 Old 11-19-2009, 12:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I had those same headlights on my '02 as well. I wanted to give you the heads up that they break bad if you get a rock chip. I only thought about it afterward but I'd tell you to look at getting some type of protective cover over them. Something like the "invisible shield" stuff for ipods. I had one of the high beams completely break out, and the low beam ended up with a large hole in it. It's like the glass just couldn't handle any impact without breaking. If I had it to do over again, I'd just start out by covering them so that rocks couldn't make the glass separate even if it did chip it.