Paint swirlies - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Paint swirlies

Ok, didnt know where exactly to post but anyway.... anyone know an effective way of getting the small scratches, such as paint swirls, spider webbing etc out the paint?? I took my car in for its 7500 mile service to the dealer, (they offer "complimentary free wash and wax") picked it up at night, didnt drive it again for 3 days, pulled it out the garage and its covered in horrbile scratches. The whole car, every panel shows these marks in the sun. Its like they waxed it with out washing it first and rubbed the dust in. I dont have pics to post, sorry. The dealership denies it. So im left with a dull looking body on a 7532 mile car!! Can ya tell im upset!??!!?

Any way, rant over, any one got any good ideas???? Oh its white by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-29-2003, 07:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
duragloss 101, its a cleaner/polish. put it on like wax, and polish it off. if that dont work, you'll need to go over the car with some finnesse-it, by 3m, with a high-speed polisher. then, polish again. better to have someone who has done it before to do it, otherwise you'll burn through and it'll look worse. thats why i have GOOD friends in a body shop. it helps out, alot.
gimme a holler if you need anymore help...........
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2003, 01:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
Yes, locate a reputable detailer shop. They can help you out. I go to the same detailer that my Subie Dealer uses. They should be able to get the paint looking like new again. Especially since it IS so new.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-2003, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

TexRex2002 is an unknown
Often it is just the wax. I've seen plenty of cars where wax was applied with a circular buffer instead of an orbital buffer, and it looked just like you describe. I've noticed it most on black or other dark colors.

Don't despair! It may very likely just be a super-thin coat of wax making it look like that, and the paint beneath is just fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Ok heres an update.

I tried ALL the local body shops here and even the Subaru dealership, prices ranged from $300 to $500 to have the scratches buffed out and the whole car waxed.

So i decided to take Fc735's advice as i already had a hih speed buffer that id never used before.

Anyway, after 3 times on each panel on the car, id say about 50% the scratches have gone. The car has a fantastic overall gloss and shine to it but still got those annoying scratches in the sunlight.
I dont know how many more times i can buff out before i get to thin on the clear coat.

Since i did this, some dildo reversed into my front bumber in the parking lot at work and buggered off with out leaving any details. Im now insearch of a nice front bumper for wagon but they all look crap. Posted earlier about wagon to sedan fender change but no serious replies came back.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-29-2003, 11:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

HRTATAK is an unknown
Scratch X works very well. It took all the imperfections out of my car.....and my car has never been garaged in the 20 months I have had it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-07-2003, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

fc735 is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to fc735
if scratch x dont do it...you may need to finesse-it, by 3m....last resort, but id do that before colorsnading it. that is when you wetsand the car in 3000 grit, called tricut, and then use finesse it II, it looks like a mirror if done right. made the wagon look SWEEEEEEEEEEEET!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement