to paint or not to paint - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-10-2009, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
to paint or not to paint

I have been thinking about painting my rims on my blue wrx gold what are some opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
If you search it there are plenty of in depth threads about it. Here are some good starter tips though.

1 scuff and clean the wheels.
2 spray adhesion promoter on the wheels
3 prime the wheels
4 paint the wheels 2 or 3 coats

I would love to paint my wheels gold on my wr blue wrx also but, I dont have the cash to do it properly right now. I think it will look dope though. I say do it just rember good prep work will result in a good finish.You can either break the tires off the rims or some people put playing cards around the tire to protect the tire from paint. good luck and post some pics if you do it. You might inspire me to finally do mine.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 05-11-2009, 10:15 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I painted mine 2 summers ago and they finally started to get a bunch of rock chips in them. That is really the only downside to painting your wheels. But you can always just repaint them if they start to get too bad. i was installing my new tires a couple of days ago and decided to repaint mine for the second time so i did it with the tires off the wheels and it turned out better. you can just get around the lip of the rim better, when i painted them the first time (w/tires on the wheels) there were a few spot around the lip that i missed.
Duplicolor wheel paint is what i used, it seems to go on pretty thick and lasts a long time, just not a lot of color choices. I did 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear.
Attached Images

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
#4 Old 05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

srninjastar is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to srninjastar
i painted my wheels gloss black over the weekend with the tires on. i use airplane grade paint remover which worked out amazingly, only problem was since that tires were on the paint resedue was all in that crack between the tire and rim and took a while to get out. also while i was doing this i was thinking: how come subaru goes cheap on the body paint yet puts down so much primer and paint and gloss on the wheels lol.
wheels

after i did that i dremeld all the spots i missed scraping the crap off.
then used self etching primer, bout 3 coats
then used rustolium auto paint gloss black, put 3 coats of that
wheels2

wheels turned out wonderful. since i live in houston where the humidity is 70+ lol, it takes a little longer for the wheels to dry.

over all the cost for the paint remover, paint, and primer was no more than $50
#5 Old 05-11-2009, 03:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
I like those painted gun metal, those look really nice just make sure the rim is very clean when you get ready to paint it.
#6 Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
What is the best stuff to use for cleaning/scuffing?
What works well as the adheasion promoter?
Does anyone know a good goldish/bronze color that duplicolor has for the wheele paint?
#7 Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
I just used sandpaper to scuff the wheels.
I use a brand called Bulldog, this shit is the best, I use it on anything I paint.
Duplicolor make a bronze, but its doesn't look that good. I suppose you could use any paint though, it doesn't need to be made specifically for wheels.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing