Paint Job? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-11-2004, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

02 Blk Rex is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 02 Blk Rex
Exclamation Paint Job?

hey guys, need some exterior advice here. i just got my wrx and the guy who had it before me didnt really take good care of it. above the door and on the roof there are some pretty serious blemishs, maybe loks like he took some of the clear coat off, he said it was from surfboard racks. there is also small chips in paint at about 4 or 5 spots around the car. also there is quite a bit of rock chips on the front bumper from obvious highway use, and on the back bumper the paint is kinda chiping away, it is just peeling off in strips. i bought an extended warrenty w/ the car and this paint peeling just started happening about a week ago and i bought the car about 6 months ago. anyways... do you think it would be better to get a professional detailer to try and get these blemishs and small chips out. i called one and said he would be able to make the papint look like new, or do you think it would be better to try and save for a new paint job? how much do paint jobs usually run. im not looking for a amazing paint job, but i dont want a cheap one either. can someone please explain the different types of paitn jobs and how much they usually cost. and last...my friend says that this "paint peeling" on my bumper should be coverd by warrenty, because it is in multiple spots on the rear bumper, and there is no sign of someone hitting me, is this true? thanks for all your help, and your advice is greatly appriciated. also if anyone in the philadelphia area knows any good paint shops, please let me know thier contact info and your association w/ them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-12-2004, 10:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Solice Send a message via Yahoo to Solice
Not sure if this will help but about a month after I had mine bird crap ate away an area of paint the size of a quarter on one of my "A" pillars. I took it to the dealer and they had from the front of the pillar to the whole right rear fender repainted covered by warranty. I'm interested in knowing the cost of paint jobs too though if anyone has any info on that.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-14-2004, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
just for a bumper, fender, possibly the driver door when i wrecked mine, it was 390 just for the paint and primer. but i got the blue pearl.
post #4 of 25 Old 10-14-2004, 02:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solice
Not sure if this will help but about a month after I had mine bird crap ate away an area of paint the size of a quarter on one of my "A" pillars. I took it to the dealer and they had from the front of the pillar to the whole right rear fender repainted covered by warranty. I'm interested in knowing the cost of paint jobs too though if anyone has any info on that.

Solice, they repainted your car for free under warrently simply b/c you didn't like the mark the bird poop left? I had no idea the warrenty covered such things. Hell, why do i bother full body detail once a month when i can just have it repainted?! ;-) Meguiars is screwing me! lol

"I hear Buschur Racing does WRX UTECs now ... oh buddy!"
post #5 of 25 Old 10-15-2004, 12:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by bah14
Solice, they repainted your car for free under warrently simply b/c you didn't like the mark the bird poop left? I had no idea the warrenty covered such things. Hell, why do i bother full body detail once a month when i can just have it repainted?! ;-) Meguiars is screwing me! lol
Haha, they didn't repaint the whole car just the "A" pillar back to and including the right rear fender. But yeah, they did it all under warranty. You couldn't really even see the spot, it was real light, but I went in there telling them that it was a bunch of crap (no pun intended) that their paint jobs couldn't hold up for more then a few weeks. On top of all that, the place that repainted it gave me a FREE inside/outside $140 detail on the car when they finished. I think I was just having a lucky streak that week. Whatever it was works for me!
post #6 of 25 Old 10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
oh! so it was the #####ing an moaning of a potential "lost customer" that got you the free-bee. I see your evil ways

Good stuff bro.

post #7 of 25 Old 10-20-2004, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Haha. Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do you know? Dealer's make enough money ripping everyone else off all the time anyway
post #8 of 25 Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
One thing I do know is when it comes to paint you get what you pay for. Anything with red in it or pearl will be much more expensive. I would say you should expect to pay at least $2000.00 not including body work for a good quality paint job if you want something crazy like airbrush work you are looking a upwards of $5000.00 depending on the detail. I would definately do my research before settling on a body shop.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-21-2004, 02:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
So if I wanted to get my whole car repainted the original color (Java Black Pearl), it would cost upwards of $2000? That seems a little high to me. I know custom paint jobs are expensive, a friend of mine had his eclipse painted a 13 color chameleon that was a little over $10,000. But on the other hand, my buddies dad had his pickup repainted black and it only costed him around $500-$600. The Pearl color in the paint add's that much money on to it?
post #10 of 25 Old 10-21-2004, 02:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

hipo_wrx is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to hipo_wrx Send a message via Yahoo to hipo_wrx
i dont know about java black but yes pearl does add a whole lot, if im not mistaken the actual coloring is done in two stages a base color and then the pearl is put on over top for its affect then the proper coats of clear. if you look under my hood there are parts that are a mid to dark semi-flat blue compared to the outer colors look.
post #11 of 25 Old 10-21-2004, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipo_wrx
the actual coloring is done in two stages a base color and then the pearl is put on over top for its affect then the proper coats of clear. if you look under my hood there are parts that are a mid to dark semi-flat blue compared to the outer colors look.
I'm pretty sure that's it. I've seen numberous paint jobs on TV and in articles and it's at least a 2 stages process.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

chuckwagon is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solice
So if I wanted to get my whole car repainted the original color (Java Black Pearl), it would cost upwards of $2000? That seems a little high to me. I know custom paint jobs are expensive, a friend of mine had his eclipse painted a 13 color chameleon that was a little over $10,000. But on the other hand, my buddies dad had his pickup repainted black and it only costed him around $500-$600. The Pearl color in the paint add's that much money on to it?
It really depends where you go to have it sprayed, you could probably get the same paint job for less than a grand but it won't be a quality job, for example my paint job on my 05 that I just bought is pretty shitty, the actual colors in the black look great but whoever did the final touches at the factory did a horrible job on the clear coat, in the direct sunlight you can see swirl marks from where they buffed it too hard. Come to find out they used a really cheap clear coat, a good shop would never let something like that go out of there shop thats why it's better to pay a little more sometimes.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-21-2004, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

bah14 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwagon
my paint job on my 05 that I just bought is pretty shitty, the actual colors in the black look great but whoever did the final touches ....
Chuck, you had the STi repainted? What color?

post #14 of 25 Old 10-22-2004, 12:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Solice is an unknown
Yeah, I never really looked into the paints with a flake (or pearl) so I really don't know what kind of prices I'm looking at. I would love to get mine repainted just because I have the same problem your having. The factory really didn't do a very good job. When your up close to my car you can see a big difference between the factory baked paint and the repair paint job that was done by a local body shop. The body shop part looks way better. I hear a lot of people complain about the Subaru factory paint job, usually on the glossier colors (blue and black). Well, strike another complaint up for me! I think that's another reason Subaru covered my little paint work under warranty because they get complaints from people about how easily it gets damaged.

Thanks guys
post #15 of 25 Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
I've heard that although the Subaru factory paint is shit compared to most other factory paint, it is still much better than almost all aftermarket paint job you can get.