Subaru WRX Forum banner

New Front Clip...

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  titter 
#1 ·
so my problem begins with a story.

i have been on the hunt to solve my hood scoop problem as it needs to be bigger to hit my power goals. now the reason this is difficult is because im cheap and cant justify paying $600+tax for a V7 scoop and splitter. the rarity of the part makes it skyrocket and it pisses me off. every other OE scoop is mathmatically larger in volume and takes more plactic to make and yet they are still cheaper. for the splitter, i managed to source the part number and price of the OE V7 splitter (from a local dealer, this was $CDN) and its a whopping $83 DOLLARS!! wow a whole 83 dollars? yet the cheapest ive found in canada is $200 ($240 for the grimmspeed)

im also in the same hunt to change my headlights and its the same deal. i can find JDM V8 & V9 for like $300 and yet the V7 lights are in the $500-600+ range. i get how things work. economics, infaltion, supply & demand.... but it still pisses me off.

for the same $1200 i can spend on JUST a Scoop, Splitter & Lights.... i can get a whole new front clip from a V8 or V9. which will give me the bigger scoop & splitter i need, and the lights i wanted.

So what would you do? i dont mind spending money where it needs be, but i cant justify spending the same amount on 3 items than i can a whole clip. plus i can sell off whatever i dont need and make a few hundred bucks back. but then i lose my bugeye front and the custom work i have done.

See less See more
#4 ·
They both have their charm, for sure.

It's all about perspective. I love the low-drag, low-profile WRX hood scoop just like I love the lightweight 5-speed. These are the parts of the STi that aren't so good in my view, so I want to keep the hood scoop you and I have.

However, if you're still set on changing it, I agree that getting a new entire clip has the best value. @psinuse changed his, so he's in a better position to comment, but it is a considerable task.

If it's just the scoop/diffuser you want I'd call a JDM importer and ask them if they would sell just those parts. I found headlights for my WRX at this one:

https://www.jdmracingmotors.com/

They are in Montreal, and so are relatively close at 2 1/2 hours from you in Ottawa.

#5 ·
ya, thats where i sourced my parts from. and i can get a full V8/V9 clip for ~$1200 or a V7 scoop, V7 splitter & V7 lights for about $1000 (local pickup cash). and i can sell whats left over from the clip netting me the $200 difference in cost. remember i need STI versions for the larger top mount i have

thats the dilemma im having... im paying a premium on parts just to stay a bugeye. so im debating not being a bug eye anymore. also this way i'll have the front half of a widebody coversion seeing how i'll be getting a sedan clip

1.5hours tops :)

ps: is your wondering why i dont get a V7 clip..... its like 2grand

Reactions: LW_Black4
#6 ·
ya, thats where i sourced my parts from. and i can get a full clip for ~$1200 or a scoop, splitter & lights for about $1000 (local pickup cash). and i can sell whats left over netting me the $200 difference in cost. remember i need STI versions for the larger top mount i have 1.5hours tops :)
Please let me know what parts are surplus if you get the front clip.

#9 ·
cheapest i found was Jspec Tuning. they want $345USD for a V7 scoop & splitter. which is decent. but by the time u add canadian exhange, shipping & tax im paying about the same amount i would from the performance shop near me. they want $269CAD+tax for the grimmspeed splitter and $339CAD+tax for the JDM Scoop. for some reason they cannot order me a V7 OE splitter, and for the same reason, im led to believe the scoop isnt OEM but a replica.

soo ummm that site u linked. they'll really ship me a scoop for $152CAD??

how much of a customs charge am i going to get hit with? final sale is $191.95CAD...EMS Priority Air/Japan Post

#10 ·
so after reading a 700+ post thread on nasioc dating back to 2002 about these Japanparts guys, i have decided to order my scoop and splitter this friday. i'll let u guys know how it goes. apparently car parts are only 8% import duty into canada

thanks for the link @RoboTuner

Reactions: RoboTuner
#12 ·
The bugeye headlights your looking at are HIDs, like mine. They are pricey and you'll need to build a wiring harness(which I did on my own because I'm not going to pay $245 for a wiring harness)and get the ballasts as well that go with them. They are very nice. Also you can't just slap a 04 front end on a bugeye, there is lots of cutting and welding to be done to do that.

Reactions: titter
#13 ·
@psinuse while i would be buying the full clip, i would just be swapping fenders, bumper, grille, lights, wheel linings, & hood. i was told they would fit without welding. but yes not direct bolt on. will take some TLC to fit them but no welding was needed. is this incorrect? if so, i might not bother with the clip.
@RoboTuner i'll definitely post pics but i dunno how detailed i can get about screwing in some bolts lol :). they are OEM STI Parts.

#17 ·
finally got around to ordering the scoop today from japanparts. in 5 days i should have a tracking number, then anywhere from 1-4weeks after that. guess it depends on customs and freight and whatnot.

*fingers crossed*

#18 ·
yay i have a tracking number! so far everythyings on schedule. the automated message said 5 days and BOOM 5 days later i have my tracking number and its on a plane via JAPAN POST. estimated 10 days from now. lets see how accurate it is.

updates as they come :)

ps: final price charged via paypal was $201.47CAD. i dont think this includes canadian sales tax and duty fees. so im pretty sure i need to pay 13%($26.19) sales tax and 8%($16.11) duty when i pick it up.

#19 · (Edited)
parts came last night, picked them up today. costs $41.62 on pickup (was a bit off)

total $243.09CAD... not too friggen shabby for an OEM part that bolts right on no fitment issues. even pre-sanded!

only took 7 business days total since original order was placed. they will definitely be getting my business again.

pics to come once its painted and on my car :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.