Subaru WRX Forum banner

Need A Link...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  the RIOT act 
#1 ·
So I'm gonna be replacing my ridiculously fake plastic "grille" inserts on my 3G to actual aluminum grille inserts. I plan to cut out the fake ones with my Dremel, then paint up the grille I have matte black and attach them on the front/rear bumpers, fenders, and fog housings.

What I'm trying to figure out is how to attach the new grille inserts. When I had my RSX it was equipped with a full body kit, and they attached the grille with these small pieces of aluminum (I think) that were bendable. They looked like tiny popsicle sticks and one end was fastened to the body piece by epoxy and the other was overhanging the "hole" you were applying the grille to so you could slide the end through one of the holes in the grille, lay the grille flat on the body piece, then fold the piece over the grille...which held it tight in place. I wanna use this same type of "non-permanent" solution so removing the grille will be easy for things like grille replacement or repainting.

Does anyone know what these small pieces are called? Or have any other non-permanent fastening ideas?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
What kind of metal would be used though? These weren't straight aluminum I know that. After bent back an forth straight aluminum would crack....

I'm def down to cut strips myself. Just not sure what material to use.

EDIT: Just left the hardware store. I'm gonna use the galv steel strapping. I can cut it horizontally into strip and create the "plyable" fastener I want.

Now I just need my car back....

#4 ·
Aluminum is very brittle and will crack after bending more than once. I'd worry about rusting on galvanized steel since the zinc coating is still at risk to cracking when you bend it. I'm unsure what you mean, but maybe a photo would help. Why couldn't you recreate the factory attachment?

#5 ·
I'm not sure what you mean about recreating the factory setup...

The pieces I'll be cutting out are actually part of the body panel though, not fastened in any way. I'll have to cut that out then create something to fasten the aftermarket grille piece.

I bought these strips of galv steel. Maybe I'll paint em after so they dont rust out. Thanks for the heads up on that though Vew. I bent it back and forth about 10 times before it broke though. Should be good enough to use. But I flattened them out smooth, then I used some tin snips and cut them horizontally into small strips I can use, rounded off the edges on the end I'll be using all the time, and I should be good to go now.

White Button Outerwear Jacket Sleeve
Leaf Hand Finger Tree Plant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.