Need Help With Bug-eyes!! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-18-2004, 11:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Need Help With Bug-eyes!!

I recently dared to do a "sparking-up mod". You know how the metals in the rain dry up on the headlamp plastic, and it makes the headlamp all "dirty"? Yea, I dont like that. So, a friend of mine suggested to apply some rubbing compound (attention that it starts with an R and then a C) on the headlights to remove the minerals. SO..... I headed to pepboys in search of the stuff, but... if sorta forgot the name. Instead, I bound rubber cement (the R and C again). YEA...I DAMAGED THE HEADLAMPS !Cry! !!!!! Atleast I tried it on the top edges where I can simply put the eyelids and all good, but I wanted to fix it. The thing is that it has a thin film or something still on it (I removed the actuall glue). It seems that the glue ate the plastic :eek: :eek: !! HELP !>!>!>!>!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2004, 06:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXtreme is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to WRXtreme
Wow, that sucks. I have no idea how to get rubber cement off of you headlights, but you might want to try some kind of bug and tar remover. If nothing works I think I would just by used headlights, I would imagine you can get them fairly cheap.
#3 Old 09-19-2004, 10:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
Sounds like a good excuse to get a set of Morettes....
#4 Old 09-20-2004, 10:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
Sounds like a good excuse to get a set of Morettes....
LOL...i was thinking of getting some, but they are pricey, so I was thinkning getting some eyelids and an HID kit that vividracing sells (or the morrettes and the HID).

PS

Do the morrettes have the same bulb coding as the stock headlamps?
#5 Old 10-10-2004, 10:47 AM
WRXtuners Member

NowItWrx is an unknown
Typically rubber cement can be removed with a good amount of effort and a vinyl or plastic eraser, which you can get at an art store. But I don't know how exactly the rubber cement reacted to the plastic headlight. If it attacked the plastic, chemically melting it, you might be SOL. There are rubber cement thinners out there, but I have no idea what they will do to the plastic -- could make it worse. I've also hear of people getting rubber cement out with diluted dry cleaning solvent, dish washing or fine fabric detergent, or white vinegar with warm water. One at a time, not mixed all together. The eraser method is cheap and won't harm the light, so that's what I'd try first.

I don't think rubbing compound would have helped much anyway. I think its abrasive content it too gritty and would have hazed the plastic even more.

An excellent way (the only one I've seen work) to clean plastic headlight covers is with 3M's plastic cleaner and polish. The stuff works great.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
#6 Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
wow, that is a bit of a problem. not to worry though, I was at work a while back, wanted to clean my headlights, grabbed a spray can from my cart and sprayed one of the headlights, it wasnt the glass cleaner, I mistakenly grabbed a can of carburator cleaner! WHOOPSY!!!! promptly fogged the whole light, looked completely white (like a plastic milk carton). so I grabbed some polishing compound and a buffer from the detailers and went to work. took a while but I buffed it to near perfect condition, had to do the other one because it looked bad next to my polished one. just need to be CAREFUL while buffing so you dont burn or melt the plastic due to too much friction.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]
#7 Old 10-13-2004, 04:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

latinWRX is an unknown
Yo AZ, will any polishing compund work? how about the buffer? What were the brands of the materials you used? LOL gimme specifics cause I dont wanna mess up again!!!!! LOL

"Many people have a good aim in life; most never pull the trigger."
#8 Old 10-13-2004, 05:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

zoinks is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to zoinks
If for some reason you can't get it off then you could always buy a used set of lamps for ~$100 or less. I just picked up a driver's side lamp for $40 shipped. I just sold my morettes or I would've offered you those.
#9 Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

AZ-Scoob is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to AZ-Scoob
I used very light pressure with a high speed buffer in very short bursts to keep from melting the plastic. as far as the brand of polishing compound I used, it was called "lazer brite" swiped a bottle from the detailers at work. you could try an auto paint supply house and pick up some 3M polishing compound, I have also had good results using (sorry guys) Ford clear coat polish with a wool buff on the high speed buffer.

[I]"Winners never quit, quitters never win, those that never win or quit are idiots."[/I]