Subaru WRX Forum banner

MY05 New Stereo + front door speakers

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Bought a MY05 WRX Wagon a little over a week ago now. I think the car has had AT LEAST two previous owners (maybe 3) and was most surprised to find the factory speakers still installed in both the front and rear passenger doors!! (Note: Car does NOT have subwoofer). Geeezz. You woulda thunk someone out there would have taken some initiative already!?! haha.

Only the head unit has been replaced by a (presumably) low model Phillips 45Wx4. Soooo..... like a closing down sale "IT"S ALL GOTTA GO!!" =P (more or less hehe).

My vision is to restore the "Honour of the Samurai" and go all Japanese. I have already replaced the tyres (Korean) with some solid Bridgestones. Next on the agenda is to rip out the Dutch head unit and front door factory speakers (does anyone know the brand of the factory speakers?).

For replacement parts this is what I'm thinking:

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X3750UI (50x4W MOSFET -> RMS22W continuous) (more info)

Front Door Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1675S (6.5", 3-way and 50W Nominal/RMS) (more info)

I've been told by a chap at Crutchfield.com that the speakers should/will fit. I'd appreciate any input or suggestions from everyone though before I go ahead and purchase any products :)

With thanks,
Jason

See less See more
#3 ·
Depending on what you listen to I really like the TS-D line from pioneer. They use fiber reinforced woofer cones so they distort less than their ts-a line. If im not mistaken only their studio line has better tone control. They are less about bumping and more about hearing every note. If you are pulling the door panels anyway you might also want to consider a sound dampening material like dynamat. There is nothing worse than a nice new set of speakers being drowned out by road noise or vibrating something loose in the door panels

Im pretty sure you have a dual din head unit space. Ive never been a fan of those dual din head unit pockets. I think they look out of place in a quality audio installation.

Depending on your head unit of choice I would also strongly recommend purchasing a stand alone amplifier, most aftermarket head units can power a 35W RMS speaker but they tend to lose their accuracy as you crank up the volume. They can also put more drain one the stock wiring harness than it was designed for. If you decide to go with just a new head unit to power your new speakers it would also be worth running a dedicated power and a clean ground at the new harness

My personal preference is the pioneer TS-D component speaker setup with a Pioneer Champion Slimline (depending on your space constraints) Subwoofer. I prefer either an 8 or a 10 inch subwoofer in a properly sealed enclosure. As far as accuracy is concerned there are few companies that make a more accurate subwoofer than pioneer.

Hope that helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.