My HID experiences - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-10-2012, 09:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

12wrx is an unknown
My HID experiences

Just wanted to give some info regarding my personal tribulations w aftermarket HID conversions. Been using them since 2006 and have ran into many issues. First, the cheap $40 ebay kits are hit or miss as far as quality (surprise). Brand names other than major names like Phillips or Hella dont reallyseem to differ. It looks as though they are prettymuch the same save for the sticker on the ballast. All are Chinese in origin. Certain makes (Chrysler, BMW, Mercedes, etc) require additional relays or capacitors for proper operation. Flickering seems to be the most prevailent issue. On a 06 Dakota for example the lights would flicker like a strobe light for about 5 sec after turning them off, but otherwiseworked fine. A relay harness cured that. Most of the time I havent needed a relay...06 GTO, 09 Legacy. That gets me to another problem. I would stay away from anything other than 35watt kits. Ive had 55w in my 09 Legacy for 2 yrs (ebay xentec). Very bright 5000k and they are impressive. However, I have noticed that my lenses are discolored although not badly. Its from the inside for sure as Im very anal about exterior care. Not wanting my lenses on any car to get sun baked I polish them regularly with Plexus. I also have 55w on my 99 Jeep but it has glass lenses so no probs. No burning or melting on the inside of the Legacy housing so its not bad just a slow process. Just keep that in mind. Just got my 12 WRX last week after after a 4 mos wait and Im fiddling with the lights on it now. ebay xentec 35w 5000k. Disabled drl and they fired right up. I have a barely noticeable flicker though. Added capacitors but no cigar. They do it no matter if its running or not just a constant flicker and I only noticed it as I was checking aim on a wall. Will try relay harness next. Anyone else with this same issue let me know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2012, 04:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
FYI, you cannot use them on your '12s stock headlights for the same reason you cannot use them on the rest of the cars your you put them on. Your cars have been mobile road hazards because you're blinding other people on the road. If you're coming here to post unwanted/harmful input, don't.

#3 Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
you can just buy a relay and wire them up yourself for cheap if you dont want to dish out for a legit relay wiring kit.... Just look up scematics (sorry for spelling) for a relay on google.. all are the same just different #s for posts depending on brand. your basically setting it up as a switch to control a higher voltage circuit I ran into that issue with my sisters car it ended up being some garbage bulbs the lights stay on but you can just see them moving i guess would be a better way to explain it only noticable up close like on a wall or something. Also not all people with HIDS blind everyone just turn them down a little and be respectful
#4 Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

12wrx is an unknown
Yep got a harness on order. Btw I mentioned aiming in my post. I always check and adjust if needed. Wrx was fine w factory but Legacy had to be aimed way down. Never get flashed by others and I've seen it coming at me at night and it looks like any other factory equipped hid car. Yes it's true some people don't seem to care about others. I live in a rural area and will never go back to halogens
#5 Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

same here nothing but desert all around me very rarely drive city except hwy and i do get flashed from time to time but have driven head on to my car and no different then factory hids not bad at all
#6 Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
no different then factory hids not bad at all
Not on stock bugeye WRX headlights. This says you've never been in a car that was factory equipped. The results are outwardly terrible. I can easily prove it.

I've driven in front of this car. I had to cover my side view mirrors (with 35% tinted windows rolled up) before the sun was even down.

These are aimed up, but they still show you how bad the hot spots are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12wrx View Post
YWrx was fine w factory but Legacy had to be aimed way down. Never get flashed by others and I've seen it coming at me at night and it looks like any other factory equipped hid car. Yes it's true some people don't seem to care about others. I live in a rural area and will never go back to halogens
You say this yet you talk about having had HIDs in your'06 Dakota. I can tell you from experience that you're wrong about '12 lights not glaring.

Last edited by brfatal; 03-13-2012 at 09:08 AM.
#7 Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
I'm sorry but, I'm on brfatal's side. If your headlight assembly was not meant to have a HID bulb in there or was not retrofitted to accept the HID light assembly. Then YOU'RE not using the HID bulb correctly and you're promoting ignorance. I'm so sick of seeing old jeeps, 4runners, tacomas, civics, and god knows what running HIDs that are using stock headlight assemblies. READ: There is no adjustment/aiming that will fix what is the real cause of glare and not a sharp/crisp/clear HID beam pattern. Which is a simple answer. Your car needs the proper projector lense for HIDs and ballast to eliminate flicker.

On a un-related note to this post. Stop running 6k-8k HIDs. I want to shoot out the headlights on a car/truck. When all I see is bright blue or dim purple lights behind me.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#8 Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

mazzanic is an unknown
Smh HIDs that is all 👎💩
#9 Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
^^^ :eek:agreed

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#10 Old 03-13-2012, 08:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

Well honestly I could care less what any of you guys say and it's bitching like that that makes me stop coming on this forum. It's my car I can do whatever the hell I want to it. And yes my 350z had factory hids and also I was simply trying to help a guy out not asking opinions
#11 Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
No one is griping. Just stating the facts. 4500K-5K lights are where it's at.

The cops here pull the blue over ALL the time...

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs0806 View Post
Well honestly I could care less what any of you guys say and it's bitching like that that makes me stop coming on this forum. It's my car I can do whatever the hell I want to it. And yes my 350z had factory hids and also I was simply trying to help a guy out not asking opinions
The thing is that there are 2 problems with the same root cause.
- You complain about "bitching", but you need to realize that you're getting jumped on about careless advice and decisions. You can't call people haters simply because you don't know much about the topic you're offering advice on.
- You said you were trying to help him, but in giving the aforementioned bad advice you're not doing him favors in the end. Other people could read this thread and think that HIDs are ok to run the way to you are promoting. It's a disservice.

There are only 2 answers to this thread. The 1st one is removing the HIDs period, and the second one is telling him he needs to retrofit HID optics into his headlights, followed by the electrical help he was asking for.
#13 Old 03-13-2012, 09:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Its also a safety thing on top of that, blinding opposing traffic could lead to a wreck due to inability of vision for oncoming traffic.
If someone were to get hurt or even worse...if children were involved, you would feel pretty low..
That being said, there are legit ways to go about it. Safer more responsible ways!

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#14 Old 03-13-2012, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Either way people are gunna do what they want I was simply trying to help him with electrical And out here I'm pretty sure my lights don't do that much 75% of vehicles on the road are lifted tricks with hids pointing to the sky which are way worse I'm just saying yes hids suck for others but there also a line where I need to see as well and the factory halogens just simply don't cut it. And I'm not gunna retrofit or do projectors I've had them before and hated them if there not factory they aren't so great on all experiences I've had
#15 Old 03-13-2012, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
So if I jump off a bridge.........

Randy-
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew