My car is a brick - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
My car is a brick

I just got back from a trip out to SLC. On the way west, going across the sometimes boring, sometimes breathtaking expanses of Wyoming and Utah, I was driving into a pretty stout headwind. It brought my mileage down to below 20 mpg for just about the whole trip. I was actually thinking something was wrong with the car until I made my first fuel stop (pretty much empty at 270 miles) when I got out and realized how hard it was blowing.

I'd forgotten how much drag my car has, even without roof rails, spoiler and being lowered. Fortunately, according to NPR, gas prices are supposed to fall very soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 06:38 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
20mpg ?

Hey, do you keep the undertray on all the time?

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
yessir
post #4 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Aw man, I can relate. In the winter when I throw my snowboard roof rack on, my mpg drops drastically no matter how I drive. I can barely squeeze 270-280 miles out of a tank before the low fuel light comes on. When I have it off during the rest of the year, I can easily get 320+ out of it.

John
07 WRX
post #5 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

It just hurt...

I've seen 410-20 out of a tank before. Goddamn drag coeffient. I think I'm going to get me an old Honda Insight and mount a Subie boxer mid-ship. Hmmmm....
post #6 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

UU-AR-ECKS is an unknown
I've got a 2001 Honda Insight in the stable. 185k on it and my wife uses it for a DD (green). It isn't much fun to drive but nothing ever breaks on those things. Last weekend we took a trip from Syracuse NY to Providence RI, then north to Boston and then back to Syracuse. Averaged 63mpg at 70 mph. That's about 600 miles on one 10 gal tank of gas. Needless to say, if the weather's nice it's the Subie around town and the gas-sipper on the open road. I wonder how it would do with a big engine in it: at idle the stock 3banger shakes it like a paint mixer.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

baumgartenb is an unknown
Garage
I get around 22 with mine...but I'm sure I would get better if I took the wing off the back. I have been debating on doing it for a while now.

Brian
2002 stage 2 WRX - DD
1993 Trans Am - summer car
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2011, 11:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I always get terrible mileage going west across wyoming... Even my wife's corolla we barely squeezed 320 out of a 13 gallon tank... That car normally gets 35mpg.

In my car I'm definitely lucky to get 20mpg going west, but going east you get a nice tailwind. I can go from SLC all the way to Laramie before I need to fill up.

-Chris