Subaru WRX Forum banner

My Airflow project 2015wrx

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  sleepertc 
#1 ·
Hey, just joined to share a project i have been working on for more engine airflow/cooling. It's easy for the stock intake and intercooler to get heat soaked so I wanted to make my own mods to help with that. I'm no master fabricator for sure but I had fun. It has a lot of flaws up close but I'm happy with it.

I tested it while cruising on the highway and my accessport shows a best temp of 2 deg F. Above ambient air temp. For MAF

New Grill I made by hand, bought the mesh and ripped out old grill and used dremel and cutting wheel to flatten back side of bumper plastic.

And I jumped right in and hacked away at the hood and (resale value haha, but we are not selling)
I used a stepped drill bit to cut 4 corner holes. Then a cutting wheel to complete the cuts, And then trimmed stainless steel mesh and secured under hood. Painted black. You can stick your face over it after turning the car off and just feel the heat rolling out.

I'm running no front plate for a while, thinking of ideas for that at the moment..i hate plates.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the forums! I hate plates as well but NH Cops will pull you over for just having one even if the other is in the window.

I like what you did with the mesh and the hood. Have been contemplating some hoods venting myself.

#3 ·
Hey thank you, yeah I'm running the chance of getting a ticket too lol.
If you decide to go for some hood vents pm me and I can give you more details on what worked for me and how I exactly attached it to the underside....i say go for it.

#4 ·
That looks pretty good.

If I may make a suggestion, symmetry is pretty big on the list for our brains when we are looking at something and it may e worth your time to make a cut on the other side with the same treatment.

Also if you happen to have a remote thermometer it might be worth testing other under hood temps as well, intake temps are one thing but keeping your exhaust heat in your exhaust and not all over the reast of your engine bay makes a huge difference in performance drivability.

#5 ·
Thank you. I just might do the other side too.

As far as heat (thermodynamics of the engine) you are right. And a top vent could create turbulence that draws header heat up. Just thinking quickly about it. The FA has that low mounted turbo at the front, and a lot of underside skid plates/plastic. So a vacuum over the top of the hood I'M HOPING, will draw what comes through the radiator, back out the top...but more so, I was hoping while stopped, the car can bleed off hot air on that intake side specifically.
You made me think about header heat wrap! That might be an idea too.
As well as when I get an intake, I may fab up my own box or shield for it. And tune accordingly.

Good input Thanks I appreciate it

#8 ·
Thanks.
I went to a local place that distributes steel and walked through and checked out their supply and found some sheets and they cut me some slices.

The front grill is expanded aluminum, pretty regular/common stuff. I used metal snips to shape it behind the bumper.

The top vent is stainless steel with small circle holes. It's 16 gauge, and very very rigid and stron..i could barely snip it.

Pretty sure I'm going to tackle the other side hood vent too soon.

#11 ·
Update

Made a second vent.

I wanted to show you guys how I attached it..underside

Used a flexible clear glue to make it extra secure..but it slides between the 2 halves of the hood skin.

I leave the masking on from the cut until the very end. Then I take a stone and smooth the aluminum edges. And paint.
Iet the engine run once in a while to keep all the metal slightly warm. And I scrubbed the mesh with rubbing alcohol before hand.

Took pics of my accessport

Intake temp and manifold temps look good..ambient temp was about 70.
So my low recorded temps were close to each other, under cruising speeds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.