Mpg gauges? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-18-2011, 07:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cbrown718 is an unknown
Mpg gauges?

Hey I was wondering if anyone knew ant good, semi accurate mpg gauges. One with how many miles I got till empty and stuff like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Look into a scangauge or an AP. Not the cheapest but the closest at what you are looking into. Is that all you want it for ?

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Ap won't tell you distance to empty tho ;-)

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#4 Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^This is true. Outside the AP and scangauge... Wonder if the HyperTech offers any of that.

The scangauge may be your bet bet for an all around... unless you want to AP for performance goodies.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#5 Old 05-19-2011, 10:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Hypertech is an unknown
Sorry we do not offer and guage options for Speed or Miles to empty for the Subaru.
#6 Old 05-19-2011, 06:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
In my opinion, the most accurate gauge will be your brain...no wait, let me explain:

When you fill up set you tripodometer to zero. The next time you fill up, divide the tripodometer miles by the gallons that you pumped into your car (I did it on the back of an envelope, but of course you can use a calculator). That will give you your average MPG for that "tank" of gas. The more times you do this calculation, the more insight you will gain as to how efficiently your car is using gas (also considering how aggressively you drove during that "tank"). After about 4 or 5 "tanks" of doing this, you can have a pretty good idea of your car's fuel consumption rate. Now when you compare your car's fuel gauge level to the tripodometer number, you will be able to judge with surprisingly good accuracy how many miles you have left before needing to fill up, and have a good idea if you are getting "good" gas mileage at any level of your gas tank. Of course, the more you do these things the more intuitive you will become.

I suppose I feel compelled to say this because my experience with the type of gauge that you are asking about in other cars has led me to believe that while they are neat to look at, most (affordable ones?) are only capable of calculating an instantaneous MPG statistic (that can fluctuate greatly depending on how hard one accelerates at any given time). Consequently, you could spend the money on endlinks or something else that provides a better "bang for your buck."

Just some food for thought, not trying to rain on your parade. =)

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"