Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Mothers PowerBall 4Paint (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/mothers-powerball-4paint-30652/)

gunk007 04-27-2011 10:50 AM

Mothers PowerBall 4Paint

Anyone used, or know someone who has used, one of these. I am looking at getting one. Any reason NOT to get it? [url]https://store.mothers.com/product_info.php?products_id=136&cPath=4[/url])
Thanks

BLAZE2099 04-27-2011 09:13 PM

OK, I have not used one of those although all it is, is a buffer ball.
Having a body shop past, I can say that it would work well in the place of your elbow and shoulder for sure and save you tons of time.
Take note on what the Mothers guy said tho, and be sure to keep moving and dont apply too much pressure or speed as doing that could cause damage to your clear. Being that my new garage is without power for the time being, i think I may just head on over to Autozone this weekend sometime and pick one up myself.......GL....CHEERS!!!

P.S. the fingers are made of foam and may tear if used near edges(like front of yer scoop or fender well)...B careful!!

blk05WRX 04-27-2011 10:10 PM

I've been curious to try this too. I use an orbital buffer, and I think this ball might be easier to get all spots of the panels. Let us know how you like it.

BLAZE2099 04-27-2011 10:38 PM

^+1 I think it would be safer than an average joe that thinks he can use an air grindr with a buffer pad on it. ROFL
Its a great idea, something every one can do quick and easy without too much burnt clear worry;)

gunk007 04-28-2011 10:51 AM

Blaze- thanks for the info.
I have an orbital buffer but it is large and clumsy and I rarely use it becuase of that. Usually just use good ole elbow grease. Looking to speed the process up.

Vew 04-28-2011 03:59 PM

I would only recommend the power ball for specific spot corrections, headlights, or use on your wheels. The max speed a power drill can operate at and the surface area of the ball itself would be more of a hindrance than anything else. What exactly are you trying to do to your paint that you think the ball will help?

BLAZE2099 04-28-2011 04:09 PM

I dont know Jon, I think as long as you were to keep it slow and steady and while keeping a good pattern. It would in fact be of assistance to the applying of waxes or polishes.

Im gonna give it a shot here in the next week and we'll see what happens, im a bit curious myself.

BLAZE2099 04-28-2011 04:10 PM

also, ill do photos before and after with the ball, and with my(elbow grease);)

gunk007 05-02-2011 11:42 AM

Vew - I am looking to cut down on the time it takes to wax my car. That is it. I thought it looked interesting.
Thanks Blaze, looking forward to the pics.

pzr2874 05-03-2011 05:52 AM

You know, a corded drill would work better on the powerball due to the battery life on the other. I agree with Jon, I'd use it on specif areas... not the whole thing.

gunk007 05-03-2011 09:52 AM

Thanks for all the input. Here is a related question. When applying the wax, do you apply to the whole car and the remove it all or do you apply in sections?

pzr2874 05-03-2011 10:18 AM

Sections....

Actually, depends which shtuff you are using

blk05WRX 05-03-2011 11:00 AM

Whole car. Just don't do it in the sun.

Hondafan 05-03-2011 01:03 PM

Orbital buffers are also a good choice for this and require significantly less finesse. You can pick one up for $40 at AutoZone and just go from there. I do pieces of the car at a time, then move on, allowing the section I just did to haze over while I move around the car. I typically start at the hood and move around. Then I throw down a loose microfiber cloth and polish it all over again with the buffer straight on the microfiber rag. I use 3 microfiber towels each time I wax it to keep a clean, smooth surface.

Vew 05-03-2011 04:03 PM

If you do your prep work correctly and use the right stuff, the wax portion itself should be a breeze. In fact, it probably takes me the least amount of time when comparing to washing and polishing. Polishing should take time. You're basically correcting imperfections in the paint. Cheap waxes contain fillers, some polishing and cleaning agents. Depending how much prep work you do, a lot of this isn't needed. Which will add to how much "haze" you have to remove and the amount of dust that results from it. It also depends what kind of wax you use. A carnuba based wax or a synthetic wax.

I realize that really didn't answer any questions, but people here have the right idea. The time the wax should stay on the car depends on what the manufacture says. Every brand, every type is different.

If you want max shortcuts to cut on time, use a synthetic based wax like NXT or TurtleWax Ice. Skip the polishing. Most of these waxes are very forgiving and are a lot easier to clean up than other OTC products. Again, don't know how mothers ball would help you in this case. It would just add another tool to clean in the end.

If you want perfection out of your paintwork. Then we can talk further. There's nothing wrong with taking shortcuts that don't jeopardize your paint. It's just every now and then, I appreciate spending a couple days going OCD on the car.