Morette headlights for 02 WRX - where to buy vs next best thing??? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 07-11-2011, 01:48 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Please keep in mind that this website has a low tolerance for shop bashing. To quote our rules, we are not the better business bureau. With that in mind, the comments here need to stay factual and avoid words like "cheaply made" or criticism of customer service. Sometimes people have every right to be angry but sometimes parts just simply don't work. It happens. Some comments written in haste and anger can linger for years on the internet costing a perfectly good company thousands of dollars in business.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Scotty_WRX is an unknown
hopefully it all gets worked out for you. i've been really wanting a set for mine and that right there is what makes me nervous about getting them.
#18 Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
I wouldn't dream of "shop bashing" if I didn't get remarkably poor quality parts or assistance. These guys are the only ones I could find who sell a product touted to be the true "original Morette" headlight for the 2001-2 bugeye WRX, and I think it's important that people are warned before jumping in. The first half of this post seemed to arrive at the conclusion that these lights are the same product that had been previously marketed with an excellent track record (sorry, that was mostly my fault). I feel it's important to report on my 180-degree opposite experience. I'm trying to help folks like Scotty_WRX out. If this is not an appropriate use of a forum, then what is?
Anyhow, you want more proof, here are some photos.
They illustrate a few important points about the lights:
- One of my headlights (left) came with the lower beam-adjustment screw (these are made of soft plastic, by the way) attached to a "brace" that was cut short at both ends and therefore unattached/free floating. "Adjusting" the screw did nothing, since it was not mechanically attached to anything. I've attached a photo of the bad part and a comparison photo of the complete brace on the other side.
- One of my headlights (right) didn't seat right, and no matter how hard I try to crank it into place before tightening the screws, it leaves a very obvious gap with the front quarter panel.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of a third serious problem. When the replacement wiring bundle arrived, I found that they'd actually epoxied the wires in in the WRONG order! I installed it only to have my blinker light up constantly (no blinking). I got my neighbor, who does electrical wiring professionally, to help me out and we had to pull the wires out of their connectors and re-wire/ re-epoxy them in. We also had to mess with the connector itself, as it wasn't made to fit snugly into the Subaru wiring. Now the lights work, though I still can't properly adjust the left headlight (brace issue) and the right headlight still fits improperly.
I've written to Morette to see about getting these issues resolved, but no word back yet. I plan to report again after this gets resolved (or not), and will gladly give credit for any positive developments. I'm actually a very forgiving consumer when a retailer tries to work with me in a reasonable way.
Attached Images

#19 Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I had the same problem with my driver's side light not sitting flush like the other side did.
#20 Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Your lights are original Morette's though....correct Justin?

Stupid question...I remember looking at bugeyes when they first came out. Subaru had headlights very simular to the morettes in their SPT catalog back then. Would it be impossible to find those headlights? or would those be basically Morettes that had a SPT stamp on them?

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#21 Old 07-18-2011, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Mine are/were the originals. SPT never offered any headlights. When bugeyes came out, "SPT" was nothing but a decal that was sold by the dealership.
#22 Old 07-18-2011, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well, it was in a catalog at the dealership then. My friend was almost ready to trade his camaro in on a bugeye, but he wanted the rally lights from the catalog back in 2002-2003. When they were new...I wish I had a copy of the catalog now. Because I can't remember if those were Morette's or not in the catalog/brochure at the dealership.

Kirt
#23 Old 07-22-2011, 06:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
Final update:
They sent me a replacement "leveler" (the brace that attaches the lower headlight adjustment screw to the light assembly) and I installed it. Unfortunately, the leveler brace was too bulky and hit an internal lip on the car body, making it impossible to install the light (everything in the vicinity of the headlights in my car is stock). I got out my soldering iron and chopped back the leveler brace until it fit. It's some sort of thick reinforced plastic, so I don't think it could be trimmed with a knife or hand-held saw. I did the same with the other side, and now it sits a bit more flush with the car body, but there's still about half a cm gap on that side.

Bottom line:
If you've got a 2002 bugeye WRX wagon, these lights will work, but ONLY with post-purchase modification to get them to fit.
You won't have to pay VAT if you live in the U.S., but you'll have to pay customs (won't be included in the bill, UPS will bill you after the shipment). My customs bill was $20.
If you're lucky, they may get the wiring right the first time. Otherwise, be prepared to spend some time diagnosing and correcting problems.
Attached Images

#24 Old 07-22-2011, 07:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well, I'm glad that it eventually worked out for you. You get a small pride token for finding a way to make it work.

Kirt
#25 Old 07-23-2011, 10:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
Maybe so, but next time I purchase something I'd rather have it work right the first (or second or third) time and skip the sense of accomplishment.
#26 Old 07-23-2011, 04:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

True enough, but its still better to get it right eventually then not having a issue resolved. I get your point entirely though.

Kirt