Morette headlights for 02 WRX - where to buy vs next best thing??? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-31-2011, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
Morette headlights for 02 WRX - where to buy vs next best thing???

I know..., but I've looked through all the previous threads on Morettes, and tried all the links to no avail, so I thought I'd try asking again. Nobody seems to be selling these any more. I tried going "to the source" (Welcome to Morette), but they haven't returned my 2 emails and it's been weeks. They don't list a phone number, so as far as I know the whole company may be out of business. I found a couple of web sites for local shops that advertised them, but the numbers were all disconnected. If anybody knows of a shop that still sells these, please let me know. Otherwise, what's the next best thing available these days to turn the pixar bugeye look into something more sleek? I really like the look of the morettes with the upper and lower rounded sections painted to match the car, and the middle band black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2011, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You can't get them anywhere except Morette. They discontinued them in 2005 and only recently started making them again. They run about $800.
#3 Old 06-01-2011, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
I found a place in England that sells them:
http://www.rapidford.co.uk/shop/inde...22auajalcgk521
I've been assured they're the real thing. They go for 440 British Pounds (US $720), plus 75 Pounds ($122) to ship. I'm waiting to see whether I can avoid paying VAT (Value Added Tax) since they'll be shipped to the US. Without VAT, my total including shipping would be $725. Seems OK to me.
Brfatal, do you know of a way to contact Morette directly? The web site I brought up on google has non-functional links, no contact phone number, and nobody's returned my emails.
#4 Old 06-01-2011, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
That site doesn't sell Morette parts anymore. They haven't for some time. And you have to pay VAT.

Morette is the only place to get them.
#5 Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
How do you know they don't sell Morette parts? They advertise that they're genuine and have photos that look EXACTLY like Morettes (http://www.rapidford.co.uk/shop/prod...6qcheciq82har2). I just sent in a credit card payment. Total was 345 Pounds ($563 US). No VAT necessary with shipping outside of UK.
Do you know something that I don't know?
#6 Old 06-02-2011, 05:43 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Because they think Morette is out of business.

I've had to pay VAT for UK orders shipped to the states.
#7 Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

gangster is an unknown
Thanks for adding another part to my wish list...
#8 Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
Well if you're right and they're impostors who think Morette is out of business I can see why. The link I listed above, which is the most likely thing that turned up in my search for the "official" Morette web page, is apparently unmonitored. No address or contact info, either. I can't imagine a company trying this hard to be inaccessible, unless they're out of business or selling through other retailers.
Regarding VAT, I've had to pay it in France, but then had it refunded when I left the country.
In any case, I'll report on my experience once the headlights arrive.
#9 Old 06-02-2011, 12:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
They aren't imposters. They are/were Morette's primary distributor. I called them recently when I had to replace 1 of my own Morette headlights. They are one of 2 companies that told me they were out of business.
#10 Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
So now I'm confused, brfatal. Do you think the headlights sold by RapidFord are Morettes or not? They're certainly ready to sell me something which they claim is the real deal. Do you suspect that RapidFord now manufacturing something similar to the old Morettes under the same name, or :eek: buying cheap imitations from China? I've been emailing with someone named Natalie at RapidFord and I'm inclined to trust her. Anyhow, it's that or nothing. I'm not going to wait for a used/cracked set to come up for sale on this forum for a similar price.

Edit (added 6/3 evening): I've confirmed with Natalie at RapidFord that these are the same Morettes that were on the market previously, made by the original manufacturer. Final price was actually $704 US based on the exchange rate with the pound (all taxes and shipping included) - there was a mix-up on the original quote (that price was for pre-01 Impreza lights) but I'll be happy with this price if all goes as expected.

Last edited by NM WRX; 06-03-2011 at 07:54 PM.
#11 Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Morette-UK is an unknown
Hi,

Just came across this post as I was checking the link referrals to our website and there were quite a few links from here! :-)

Not sure which email address you were using to email Morette directly, but the best one to use is harold@morette.com (Harold is the boss and owner of Morette).

You are very welcome to email him (although he is an extremely busy guy) to confirm that they are still in business and to confirm that we (Rapid Ford) are selling the genuine article :-)

The are many rumours and all sorts of stories about what happened with Morette (we have heard them all!!!), so to clear it up...

A few years back they had to stop trading as they were having trouble sourcing various components that made up their lights, so had no choice but to stop trading. Between that time and now, they moved their factory from France to Belgium and found new manufacturers to work with and we are very happy to say that during 2010 they were able to reopen (same owner, same lights) and they are busier than ever.

We are the main UK distributors for the Morette lights and also supply many sets to the USA (particularly for the Suabru) and all over the world.

I can also confirm that there is no VAT to pay if you purchase the lights from us (as obviously the USA is outside of the EU).

Not sure what the rules on advertising are on this forum, so better not say too much else - but I just wanted to clear up the confusion and uncertainty about Morette.

Thank you,

Natalie
Rapid Ford / Morette-UK
morette@rapidford.co.uk
- Rapid Ford Limited
#12 Old 06-06-2011, 11:23 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Thank you! Your post was very helpful and thank you for considering our rules on advertising. The links you gave are very much on topic and OK with me

Those lights have been a popular cosmetic mod for the 02-03 USDM WRX for many years now and it's good to hear they are still available.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Morette-UK is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Thank you! Your post was very helpful and thank you for considering our rules on advertising. The links you gave are very much on topic and OK with me

Those lights have been a popular cosmetic mod for the 02-03 USDM WRX for many years now and it's good to hear they are still available.
No problem Just really wanted to clear up the confusion.
#14 Old 06-06-2011, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^^ Get vendor status.... you won't be disappointed.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 07-11-2011, 02:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

NM WRX is an unknown
Sorry to report that things are NOT going well with this purchase. I received the lights with a visibly loose/faulty wiring connection to one turn signal (that signal didn't work), and was instructed by the manufacturer to go through several stages of removal/reinstallation, including swapping wires between right and left headlights, before they would agree to send out a new part. About 4 hr of my time wasted. The resulting shipment of a replacement wire bundle got stuck in customs in Brussels because (per UPS): "The commercial invoice is missing and is required for export. / Delivery rescheduled." On top of that, I got hit with a surprise customs bill for unpaid duty with a threat of penalty interest. Rather than taking credit for the error, Rapid Ford's response was that it's standard for the customer in the U.S. to have to pay duty before an item will be released for import. I find it hard to believe that purchasers routinely tolerate having their shipment held up in some border town between the shipping and delivering endpoints and getting hit with a bill that was not included in the original price agreement! Furthermore, I was informed that I must have gotten off lucky to avoid having my item held up by a customs bill the first time round!
Needless to say, my customer service impression is very low at this point. I'm hoping RapidFord will manage to sort things out to my satisfaction, but not holding my breath
Regarding how the lights work: I'll reserve judgment until I get the proper wiring shipped and installed, after which I can try to adjust them correctly (installation insturctions were pure crap, by the way - half a page that seemed to be printed off somebody's personal computer, with one inadequate diagram and inadequate/improper instructions about disconnecting original parts). I'm putting that off for now because the adjustment screws are soft plastic, placed in hard-to-reach locations, and I don't want to mess with them too much for fear of stripping them. Cosmetically, I think the lights look pretty good in black, which is good because they don't seem like they're textured to take paint to cleanly match the other body panels around the lights. My overall impression is that they're made rather cheaply and are not worth the price I paid, but they're still (hopefully) serviceable, and should eventually accomplish my goal of turning the "cute" bugeye look into something more aggressive and passably functional.
By the way, brfatal was right about Rapid Ford NOT being the same company as Morette, and it's actually a bigger problem than I'd imagined. As per Natalie's post (above), RF sells the presumably original Morette lights from their England location, but they're manufactured and shipped out of Belgium (by Harold, who is presumably the original maker of Morette lights). The two companies don't communicate well, and it seems that for one reason or another, anything that goes wrong is all but impossible to fix.
Natalie at RapidFord tells me she's trying to put things right, I'll report back if/when that happens.

Last edited by NM WRX; 07-11-2011 at 12:04 PM.