Lip Spoiler for Protection? - Subaru WRX Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Lip Spoiler for Protection?

Hey Guys,

I've been tossing around the idea of adding an "expendable" front lip spoiler to my 13 Hatch.

Ive read alot of threads about what looks cool but Im really more interested in protecting my bumper, Ive already been bit by California roads that look as bad as they did after the 94 Northridge earthquake, one in particular grabbed a bit of paint and bent my bumper out of whack this week.

Im looking for a solution that might add a little extra durability to the front bumper or be more forgiving if I happen across another cal-trans nightmare. Ive looked into the V lips and CS lips but being ABS I would be afraid that they would tear my bumper if they got caught.

Does anyone know of any part, liner, mod, or kit that acts like a skidplate to protect the bottom edge of the front bumper? im not opposed to a rally bar either but im kinda afraid to go drilling on the frame under my bumper. just looking for a more street friendly solution for my hatch.

thanks guys.

TLDR i want a lip spoiler to protect my bumper from California roads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-08-2014, 07:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Rally Innovations (and possibly some other companies) make tough-looking skid guards that mount on/under the front bumper, but I'm not sure they're necessarily as expendable as what you're looking for.

IAG Performance and several other companies manufacture aluminum under-car skid plates too, but I'm not sure they're as tough or expendable as you want them to be either.

I'm not really aware of many other off-the-shelf solutions, so I think this situation ultimately calls for an epic D.I.Y. job.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#3 Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
thanks for the ideas and photos.

I looked into rally innovations but they only appear to have one model available, its just a bar, I really like the look of the aluminium rock plate on the front of the photo you attached. I may have to buy something like the rally innovations bar and add a slip panel to the bottom, something I can replace without having to prep/paint, maybe a poly-board that can be sanded and painted black ?

If anyone has any custom solutions I could use for inspiration I would really appreciate photos.

thanks
#4 Old 01-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
I use a poly v-limited replica to protect my bottom end. Looks good and no more missing paint from the bottom of my bumper.

Name:  602796_10101671266191209_153270549_n.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  54.7 KB

My bumper has seen better days..

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#5 Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Agreed. I run a poly lip too from BaysonR. A full metal skid plate seems pretty excessive...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 01-09-2014, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

I have been tossing around a V Lip but I have read a handful of horror stories of them tearing the bumper, the more I look the more Im thinking about having a light bar installed and just running a removable skidplate using the light bar as the front mounting point, something light weight and paint-able.

I may just order a poly lip for the time being and wait till I can find a Fab-shop to make a custom Light-bar.

thanks guys for the advice, and Vew that lip looks really solid on your 04, I've always liked the BlackDetail on silver color combo
#7 Old 01-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Tearing the bumper? I mount mine with a dozen zip ties. The ties are rated for 60lbs, so they snap off easily if i hit or scrap something hard. By then I can hear the lip scraping which gives me time to pull over and fix it. Rarely have I not been able to save my lip.
turmic and the RIOT act like this.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
#8 Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

excellent, so the zip ties would fail and release the lip before hurting the bumper.

I appreciate the response, I think im gonna grab one of the replica CS lips, more my style. ill do a quick write up and post pics when i get it.

take care
#9 Old 01-09-2014, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
You could also rock a ghetto-fabulous D.I.Y. garage door seal lip

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
John....
Attached Images

man show likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#11 Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM
WRXtuners Member

Im not gonna lie, I stoped when I was scrolling when I saw $29.99. then I relized what it was and I have a replica CS lip in my shopping cart awaiting payday today : )

/sarcasm/ I bet that roll of foam sealer would give some excellent protection from road wear and I heard the sticker they include adds +5 horsepower /sarcasm/

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#12 Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Popping the bumper off isn't the worst fate in the world either. The bumper is only held on by clips. Scraping might pop it off and maybe damage some plastic in your fender wells (which is surprisingly cheap to replace) but it's not going to hurt your car frame, paint, or anything non-plastic.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

thanks mosc,

I decided to order a replica lip this morning. Thanks everyone for the help, I'm still looking for fab-shops in SCV that can put together a cool light bar with a removable skid plate but for now I think the lip will look good and give me some breathing room.

I'll post some pics when I get it in the mail and get it installed.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#14 Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

So i got the CS replica lip this evening, it fits pretty well with a little bit of gap between the bumper and the lip on both the right and left side, as far as added protection im pretty happy with it, for the $60 it might save me some headache from scraped paint.

photos as promised
Attached Images

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#15 Old 01-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
All the lips will have that gap on the corners. You can try a blow dryer or heat gun if you have one. It should lessen the gap but it won't close it completely. I personally couldn't stand it and noticed it everytime I looked at the car during the day cause of the sunlight coming through. It had to go lol! I cut off the tab where the push button went through on the corner and drilled a hole. Then used a nut/bolt instead which created more clamping force and sealed the gap completely. There's some pics and notes in my below build thread for further reference on this.

Looks good though man!

theRIOTact's build thread!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan