Subaru WRX Forum banner

LED License Plate Bulbs

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Vew 
#1 ·
So, I had a bad problem with one busting. I guess water leaked in, caused a bulb to overheat and melted part of the housing. This caused new bulbs to not last as long. Decided to replace them both with LEDs and be done with it. I also always hated the yellow color traditional bulbs gave.

Short disclamer. I had problems with installing them. If I seated them all the way, they wouldn't make connection. It was frustrating. Some hot glue on the bad socket remedied it even though it was a bit ghetto. You may run into similar problems. Maybe not. Here's the results.

I apologize. Didn't even think about getting a before photo.

Bulbs from my preferred LED vendor in cool white. I usually only buy loose 5mm LEDs from them for projects.

Technology Electronic device

Garage lights on

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Light

Pitch black.

Red Automotive lighting Lighting Light Headlamp

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks solid, I cant quite tell by the image but do the LEDs have a heat-sink? I have always preferred LED light to incandescent light but they get to darn hot in most SMT applications.

Ive found that the old school clear dome style LEDs tend to last longer in these kinds of constricted areas where they are used for long periods.

Let us know how they last in the housings : )

#4 ·
I just actually was pulled over today and the officer questioned my cool white led license plate lights because in NY having blue lights on the outside of your car like is illegal. Luckily I didn't receive a ticket for them this time. Doesn't help my car is blue and they put off that bluish color.

#5 ·
The LEDs do not have a heat sink that I'm aware of. It's made up of about 5 PCBs so it produces a 360 beam. It also has heat shrink over the current driver. They do give off a slight blueish color, but they also offer warm white if you're into that.

My coworker followed me into work today. Said the plate lights were the first thing he noticed (we go in before it's light out). Maybe too bright and recommended spraying something to diffuse the light more (car guy too).

#6 ·
So, one of my LED bulbs went out because the housing continued to leak. Rather than replacing with a factory housing, I opted for all incased IP65 rated "plate bolt LEDs" rated at 30 lumen each. They cost me $5 each, and I bought 4 out of paranoia that they wouldn't be bright enough.. should have gone with 2. These have a more bluish tint.

They're properly wired with solder and heat shrink, but I REALLY ghetto'ed the crap out of the mounting with a 1/4 lb of hot glue.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.