Subaru WRX Forum banner

Leaking sideskirt :(

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  09wrexlyf 
#1 ·
So last week I was driving in the ridiculous rainstorm we had here in the north east. I had the great pleasure of driving in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. I noticed that there was as very distinct water sloshing noise coming from the passenger side of my car. As far as I can figure, water somehow made its way into my side skirts. Any ideas as to how I can seal them? I really don't want this to continue, and even though this is probably covered under warranty i really don't have time to take it to the dealer.

any help would be awesome

#4 ·
Do you still have the stock engine pan? Ive heard sloshing in that pan after a engine bay wash in the past. If your sure its in the skirts you can drill a hole or you might be able to swap the fasteners for something more breathable. Usually OE body panels have holes in the bottom for fasteners, to connect them to other body parts. Lowes sells some hollow fasteners s that might drain better than the OE ones. They have flathead twist fasteners with some air gap on the sides. It should let water drain.

hope that helps

#5 ·
Thanks for the help! I am wary of drilling holes in the body because that may or may not let more junk in. I like the thought of different fasteners, that may be a good idea. I will definitely be looking into some type of under coating, my wife's jetta has a massive hole in the rocker panel that I don't want to happen to the WRX.

Arctic, I have the stock engine pan although I have been thinking of fabricating a new under tray from aluminum or SS, depends on how heavy i want it. would anyone happen to have the dimensions of the stock under tray?

#6 ·
There are a few companies that make nice under pans out of alluminum. when they start reinforcing them they call it a skid plate. I think rally armor is starting to make them and primitive has been making them for years. You might be able to get dimensions from them .

Unless you are planning on rally racing I would stick with aluminium. Its still heavy for the amount of protection offered. Depending on your access to materials you might want to look at krydex for everyday driving. Its a nice thermo-molded plastic that slips well against cement and speed bumps.

#7 ·
Thanks! Ill have to see if they are willing to give the dimensions to me. I work for a sheet metal shop so getting material is not that big of an issue. I will probably end up making it out of scrap so the material will cost me little to nothing. Aluminum is probably the best, as long as I can scrounge up some 6061 Aircraft grade stuff ill be good. The only reason i was thinking of Stainless was to be corrosion resistant and the reactions from people when I tell them i am running a Stainless skid plate. This spring I'm thinking of making a full Rally style under tray, but that's a long ways off. I want it for the piece of mind when running things over. My car is lowered and I have scraped on more things than I believe is acceptable FOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.