Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Non-Performance Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/)
-   -   Largest Rear Speakers in an 05... (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f73/largest-rear-speakers-05-a-27218/)

gunk007 09-25-2009 05:56 PM

Largest Rear Speakers in an 05...

So I am going to replace the rear speakers in my 05. What is the largest size someone has put into there rear? I know it calls for a 4" but I would guess you can get a larger one in there.

AkSoul 09-27-2009 12:43 PM

I just replaced my rear speakers with some 4". I would think there would be no problem putting a deep 6.5" driver in there. The window dosen't go all the way down so there isn't a clearence issue. I should have looked into this before i bought my 4". I have this idea now of lining the inside of the door and running bass drivers int he doors to cut out the external sub setup that i run currently.

gunk007 09-27-2009 07:42 PM

SO you are thinking about putting 2 6" subs in the doors?!? How would you power them. Thanks for the input. I am ordering my speakers off the internet and dont what to have to pay to return them.

AkSoul 09-28-2009 02:05 PM

I don't know what your current audio setup is your car. I think beyond a 4" would require some simple cutting with a dremel tool or something similar. I would suggest you take your door panel off and look with your own eyes, this will give you a better idea of what you are comfortable doing.

I bought 5 1/4" MB quart premium components off ebay for the front of my car. They were too deep to clear my window, so I had to put wood rings in to clear, then i ran into clearence issues with the door panel. I got it fugured out with 1/4" to spare on each side. They are great speakers just make sure you know what may have to be done.

As far as my setup goes.I would probably put an amp under my drivers seat. The inner sheet metal would need to be cut out to accommidate the larger diameter, A lot of sound deadning would need to be applied and the door would have to be completly sealed to get a good bass sound. I've seen it done on a forester. I'm not sure this task is beyond my ability, but i'm sure a custom audio shop would have no problems taking care of it if i messed it up. It's not on top on my to do list but something for the future as it could get a little pricey.

gunk007 09-28-2009 02:11 PM

Currently I have an Alpine deck and I am in the proccess of puting some 6.5 Infinity compenent in the front. I am not happy with the overall sound (### the 4" speakers suck so bad). I also have 2 amps (4 ch and 2 ch) with a 12" MTX sub sitting in my garage that I would like to put into my car when I have some time. Thanks for the info Ak. :)