Subaru WRX Forum banner

Just wondering.

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  newtothegame 
#1 ·
I was at my local tuning shop. Pacific Import Auto, for you guys in the NW area that might know them. I was talking to them about my next "power" mods (injectors, 3 port BCS, fuel pump and TMIC). I was discussing TMIC and they said that the recommend the STI TMIC or one of an 08+.I have read ad researched these (TMIC) almost as much as TBEs and exhausts. I was/am basically torned between the Perrin or APS until now. Im just wondering with some of you guys that know and understand more than I what your thoughts are on this before I am committed to it. Thanks.

#2 ·
I don't think that the STi TMIC isn't big enough. Which turbo are you going for though? The EVO3 16G? I'd stick with Perrin or APS' TMIC. Those things are really nice. I've seen an APS in person and it's clean...

#3 ·
Josh, you forgot to mention where you plan on going with your next power mods. Newb ROFL kidding. But, if your staying with the TD04-13T then a STI TMIC is fine. Even if you bump up to a VF39 or 16g. A Big16g or Evo III 16g might be slightly hindered with that TMIC. Personally, I'd stay away from the 08+ TMIC. You'd have to switch to a 08 turbo because their turbos and TMICs are not compatable to 02-07 models (Read: different layout). But, if your going bigger than a 16g. Then yeah, I'd go Perrin or APS TMIC. Thats if you want to stay TMIC, which i take it you do. Hope that helps. ;)

Edit: Dang it, subeast. Your fast fingers out typed me. Haha... !Thumbs Up

#5 ·
Edit: Dang it, subeast. Your fast fingers out typed me. Haha... !Thumbs Up
:D Well, I saw you were on the same page and typed with a quickness. ROFL Just Kidding.
ssautochrome...big and cheap
Eh..... If you want to sacrifice the quality for the cheaper price. It's actually visibly noticeable. Like I said, I've seen an APS in person, and it is just awesome. It was a stealth (black) one. I've seen cheapo intercoolers and they are just TOO shiny or something. Theres just something about them when you look at it, you can tell...

#6 ·
That TMIC isn't really any better than a STI TMIC. Its been said to be less efficient then the latter. Better than stocker on a WRX? Yes! Good for a true high performance turbo setup? I think not. Not looking to rain on anyone's parade. But, if your looking to upgrade your turbo...a SSAC TMIC isn't a good option. If your keeping it stage 2 VF 39 or smaller. Then by all means get it.

#7 ·
Damn, you got me Turmic. I will be doing the fuel pump and injectors and TMIC at once, then saving for the turbo. Either n 18 or 20G. TMIC and nothing else. I dont want a FMIC at all. And I mentioned to them shop about the different setup as far as turbo/IC and they said it will still work out. I dont know that much yet. Thanks guys for the input though.

#9 ·
Serious as a heart attack Mosc. I mean the guys know alot of stuff. The owner has a full STI swap into his Forrester, and I have seen them at work and what they have done to cars also. And they are pretty fair. I was just wondering about the whole STI TMIC for even an 18G, not what I thought.

#12 ·
Doesn't make sense about the 08+ TMIC. Doubt you can make up a adapter for it to work. You'd have to go 08+ turbo layout. Which is fairly limited, unless you go VF48 with a new compressor wheel. Pretty sure no one has jumped on making bigger turbos for the new layout. I think that's what has been screwing the Legacy the past couple years, as far as aftermarket turbo upgrades.

#13 ·
They said they could make it work, but it doesnt matter. Im getting either the APS or Perrin probably, or maybe the TurboXS or the Spearco, lol. I will eventually get an aftermarket one though. But I do agree with you turmic, that it wouldnt be cost efficient. They shop knos their stuff though, but again, my mind is now made up.

#14 ·
I feel that if you are going with a larger than ANY OEM SUbaru turbo, then you need a more efficient Intercooler than ANY OEM intercooler. WHy are you so against front mounts? They aren't really too much more than a good TMIC, especially if you are able to save and then buy.

#16 ·
My plans are to eventually (who knows when) to get at least an 18G, maybe 20G. I know these can be ran with a TMIC, no problems. I plan to also use all the heat retaining that I can, i.e. wrap the DP, turbo blanket. Was just looking for reassuarnce I suppose. FMIC just arent my thing, stealth or not. Just dont want to chop or remove things on the car that are meant to be there honestly. I know thats part of modding, but I like the clean look without the FMIC.

#18 ·
Thanks man. I could imagine the top of the engine looks kind of cool and it makes things easier to work on. I know that alot of people love the look, guess its one of those things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.