Its over heating - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
Its over heating

So my car started to over heat today pretty bad. At first the top part of the hose to the radiator popped off and the radiator sprayed anti freeze over the engine. (that sucked) I thought it was a bad clamp. Turns out its not. The top hose was burning hot while the bottom hose was cold...and nothing was getting pumped out of my coolant resavoir. Long story short I am pretty sure I narrowed it down to be the thermostat.

To verify to get to the thermostat i have to take off the bottom radiator hose and its there in the block correct?

Also has any one done this and can give any feed back and advice would be greatly appriciated

Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2011, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Yeah you have to pull the aluminum 90* bend piece that the bottom rad hose connects to. I believe it's held to the block with two bolts. Taking the hose off alone won't expose the t-stat.

It's most likely the t-stat, other than that your water pump failed or you have a blockage in your heater core. In that case you won't get any heat when the car warms up.

-Chris
#3 Old 05-06-2011, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
I replaced the thermostat and its still doing the same thing. Any suggestions on what to check or where to go from here. If its something I can do this weekend would like to other wise i will have it towed to the shop on monday
#4 Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sethsbiz is an unknown
So I was doing some reading on proper ways of burping and one of the things I havent been doing is turning on the heater. why would you turn on the heater? I dont get why
#5 Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Chris answered in the other post on the heater core question. As did I. Didn't see this post till afterwards.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3