Subaru WRX Forum banner

Interior Lights and instrument color change

166K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  Apexwolf 
#1 ·
I spent hours and hour looking up how to change my dash lights, HVAC, and factory Lamco gauge lights to blue. With little to no success on other posting on how to or where to buy, I decided to undertake this blindly with no knowledge of what I was doing.
Overall about $15 and 30 min and you can have blue lights everywhere.

Mine 2002 WRX.
Cluster:
Start off by removing your cluster. Simple and easy. Two screws release the cover, 3 more after that and 3 plugs and your Cluster is out. The back side will have 10 lights each with a "socket" and a bulb in that socket that simple just twists out. The bulbs that are in there are #74 bulbs most which have green "condoms" on them. There is a green film on the back side of the cluster faceplate itself, say some remove it. NO! Its not worth it at all, I did it to my cluster and it took HOURS and I accidently touched the needles so I had to buy an another cluster. When I was using the film-less cluster I put BLUE BULBS in and the color outcome wasn't blue or even close. It came out teal-ish, still more factory green then blue. Completely pointless and a waste of money. I decided at that moment it HAS TO BE LED. After trail and error, weeks and weeks of waiting for LEDs in the mail I finally got it. ***to replace your #74 bulbs, you need to buy T5 Blue LEDs***
Got the LEDs in and that pop right into the socket the bulb came out of, very simple. In all it will take 10 of these T5 blue LEDs just for your cluster.

HVAC:
To get to these bulbs you will have to remove your slide out cupholder, 2 screws. Its kind of a pain to get it but with some wiggling it come out. Then your trim around the radio and hvac just pops out. Next remove your radio, 6 screws and some plugs. Very simple if you have takin one out before. From there your AC controls are accessable. You cant remove the unit with ease so I just stuck my hand behind it and felt for the sockets and out they come. Only 2 of these. They are also #74 type bulbs so i bought T5 blue LEDS. Now you cane put it all back together. I do not have a factory radio but I know you can change the lights out in it. I would just carefully take it apart and try for yourself.

Gauges:
Easy, cover pops off. Undo the 4 screws, plugs, and its out. 3 bulbs again #74. replace with the same T5 LEDs.

The Map lights and the Dome light were easy, I dont remember the type but you cant mess those up. Just check the bulbs out and replace with LED Super white.

Truck light and lience plate lights are T10 LEDs. These are about twice the size of the T5. Both are still wedge style.

Im pretty sure my fog light button, cruise control and AC button light are all T 3/4 (not 3 or 4, a 3/4 or .75) I have not changed these but those are the sizes im ordering for them

I bought my 15 T5 Blue LEDs from ebay and spent $13. NOO film removal.
1 T10 Blue LED for my truck
2 T10 white LED for my plate
1 more T5 blue LED for glove box
"street glow" headlight LEDs for my under the dash glow.

15x T5 74 5050 3 Chips SMD Blue LED DASHBOARD Lights | eBay

Please remember, your doing aftermarket work so after its done it ISNT PERFECT. I dont have "hotspots" but its not a perfect uniform factory blue look. I am most happy with what I got. If you have any questions where to buy or anything just ask.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.