Subaru WRX Forum banner

Installing Sirius - '14 Premium Hatch

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Vew 
#1 ·
Hey all, wall of text incoming. Had a few questions regarding this, but open to comments regarding new head units as well. So I have a 2014 WRX Premium hatch.

First, after searching around the internet I've got conflicting reports of whether the OEM antenna on the roof actually supports satellite reception. My gut is telling me no, but some people claim that the '13 and '14 models may support satellite as well depending on where it was assembled. Any truth to that?

Second, placement of the box (when inevitably I'll have to run the wire because the antenna doesn't support satellite). I'd prefer not to have it in the windshield, but wouldn't be so bad if I can hide it behind the rear-view. I've seen mixed opinions on whether this interferes with reception. Any experiences?

Third, if I were to install it on the roof in the back would the hatch cause trouble? I would assume I can still feed it around the outside or through the weatherstrip and run it along the base/floor of the car without any problems. My only hesitation is that the way the hatch opens would somehow cause a problem.

Fourth, if installed on the roof, is there any way to hide it somewhere? I'd prefer not to have two antenna systems sitting on the top of the roof. I had thought about a sharkfin and hiding it under there if possible, but losing reception/quality in addition to the already mediocre system wasn't enticing.

Last, I've seen mention of getting and installing new head units that are satellite compatible. People say that you're better off this route as you get better sound quality, reception, and features. At the same time, I've also seen people say there there is no good way to keep the steering wheel controls functioning with an aftermarket head unit. What is everyone's opinion on this? Keeping in mind I am in my car frequently for work (it's a daily driver) and use the Bluetooth audio/phone functions often. Losing the steering wheel functions or Bluetooth entirely would put an end to this idea quick.

If anyone also has any suggestions for aftermarket head units I'd at least look at them to see what my options are. I had previously installed an aftermarket HU in my old 1990 Audi I got from my grandparents when I was 18, but that was some time ago and I'm not sure who makes quality products.

Thanks for any help.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's been a few years since I've been working in the industry, but let me try to address at least some of your concerns.

Concern 1: Again, I haven't been keeping up. Best way to figure it out is to look at the plug that goes to the factory HU/Box to see if it's a standard plug. Both XM and Sirius now use the same plug.

Concern 2: I do not recommend the windshield. If you read my http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f92...ftermarket-sirius-xm-satellite-antenna-30780/, your experience will vary. XM/Sirius signals just aren't as powerful as GPS. You drive on a steep incline or under light foliage, and there goes your reception. I can only assume rear glass installation will be worse.

Concern 3: It depends how far of a distance the wire has to travel before it can be hidden again. Usually, when we install on SUV's we ran the wire under the ceiling rather than running it all the way back down to the carpet. Also, we never installed them if people had roof racks in fear that they'd use the rack and tear up the antenna. Those had to be installed on the front of the roof which was less than ideal. Be sure to buy the ones with tiny rubber feet to save your paint.

Concern 4: Installing it directly behind the fin wouldn't look too bad. Again, no personal experience but hiding it in the shark fin would be better than under the glass windshield IMO since plastic typically has a slightly lower dielectric constant value when comparing to glass.

Concern 5: Our sales pitch response years ago was to buy a $150 piece from iSimple. How well this thing worked, I have no idea since I've never actually installed one. Just keep in mind if you buy a sat ready HU, you still have to buy the $50 control box (like the Sirius Connect) and hide that somewhere too.

I have a Kenwood DVD/NAV (Garmin) which I like a lot, but this was before smart phones. I have an 04 so steering wheel controls weren't even available at the time. My friends have had good luck with Pioneer units too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.