Subaru WRX Forum banner

install/removal of passanger airbag sensor

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  9d2TSi 
#1 ·
Whats up all i'm not sure about the older WRXs but the new ones have a weight sensor that activates the passanger airbag when someone is in the seat and deactivates it when theres not. I ordered an STI interior from some jerk and he took this sensor out along with all the harness without telling me so basiclly i got stuck with the job of swapping everything. Once again my loss is your gain cause now i will tell you how to do if for those looking into interior upgrades.

Its actually much less complicated then it seems........the harness are self explanitory just unclip/bolt from one and add to the other.......as for the weight sensor and module........here goes

1) Remove your seat and flip it over so that youre looking at the springs under neath it. The Sensor is the mini airbag looking thing inside the springs with a hose coming out of it, and the module is rivited in place right above it.

2) Remove all the plastic clips holding the fabric in place on the seat and peal back the seat cushion.

3) disconnect the air hose frome the module and carefully remove the 2 push clips holding the sensor/pad under your cushion. I just used a dash removal tool/ panel poper/ crows foot whatever u wanna call it.

4) Carefully pull the sensor and the hose out from the top of the seat.

5) Drill Out the 2 1/4" rivits holding the module inplace and remove it.

6) Follow these same steps to install this unit on new seats and reattach all fabric clips

7) MOST IMPORTANT: have plenty of beer handy because it is a lil bit of a PITA and you will deff loose some skin on your hands

if you have after market seats you may need to fabricate some mounts for the harnesses and module

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.